Chapter I "The Beginning"

Start from the beginning

I then heard as footsteps rapidly approached my room before the door swung open and Mitsuri bursted inside, tears streaming down her face "(Y/N)!" she yelled before suddenly hugging my tightly "I DID IT, I DID IT!" she exclaimed repeatedly "Air... need... air..." I gasped out, before Mitsuri realized what I said and quickly loosened her hug "I DID IT!" she said again.  I couldn't help but chuckled and patted her head "Yup... yup you did..." I said, putting on a happy tone "Master sent me on my first Hashira Mission, so I won't see you till I get back," she said, starting to slowly calm down and wipe off her tears.

I used my sleeve to help with her tears "With how strong you are, gaurente you'll make this quick, huh?" I asked, before a demon core. crow landed on my window seal "Caw, caw! Hashira mission for Mitsuri Kanroji! Caw, Caw! Hashira mission for Mitsuri Kanroji!" the crow repeated "SHE HEARS YOU, GIVER A MINUTE!" I yelled back in annoyance.  Mitsuri then finally stopped crying and stood up "Now that, I'm a Hashira, I expect to see you in demon core clothing soon," she said, smiling as if trying to reassure me "...Yea... maybe," I said, my sad tone slowly starting to sink in again.

Mitsuri saw my sadness and was about the speak, but "Caw, Caw! Hashira mission for-!" "WE HEARD YOU!" me and Mitsuri interrupted the crow simultaneously "Well... I'm off, see you later!" Mitsuri said before hopping out my window and following the crow to her first Hashira mission, leaving me in silence.  I looked down at my hands, all splintered and roughed up from my training before then looking at my mirror and at my reflection, seeing the dirt, bruises, and scrapes that I achieved from training as well 'All this effort... yet I'm still not strong enough...' I thought to myself, feeling as tears built up in my eyes, but I wouldn't let them fall.

~Large Time Skip~

It was now midnight, almost everyone was asleep yet I was on the roof, looking at the moon as it glowed brightly, the silence intensifying every second I stayed starring "...Isn't the Moon Lovely?" I suddenly heard someone say, making me jump "JESUS!" I yelled before calming down after seeing it was only Shinobu "Shinobu... you startled me," I said, my heart calming down from the sudden scare.  She simply giggled "Apologize, but it's not every night you see a trainee on the roof starring at the moon," she explained "Yea well... Tonight I just needed to be alone..." I said, staring back at the moon once again.

"...This is just like last time," Shinobu suddenly said, making me face her as she was now the one staring at the moon "We were both fourteen, Kanae had died and I was sat up on the butterfly mansions roof..." she explained, bringing me back and remembering "Yea..." I silently muttered "And who was there to comfort me?" Shinobu asked, her smile now genuine as she looked at me. I chuckled and looked away from her "...I was..." I replied "And what did you have me do?" she asked, making me blush a little "Cry on my shoulder..." I said, receiving a playful punch from her "And?" she asked, clearly hinting at what I'm supposed to say and do "...Share your feelings..." I finally said.

Shinobu nodded and leaned forward as to look at my face "So...?" she asked, now making it clear on what I should be doing "...It's just that... Mitsuri is a Hashira now, you and Rengoku are going stronger and getting farther ahead and... here I am... at the back of the herd," I said, feeling as a weight from my shoulders had been lifted. Shinobu listened to what I said, before looking at the moon once again "You're familiar with the Lunar phase, correct?" she asked "...Where did this come from?" I asked "Yes or no," she said, looking me in the eyes and pushing me to select an answer "Yes... I am," I responded, unsure of where the conversation was going.

Shinbou nodded and looked back at the moon "How long does each phase last?" she asked "About a week each," I responded from the top of my head "Correct, but what if within that week the moon isn't ready to change phases?" she asked, stumping me "It doesn't, it changes anyway," I responded, making her smile brightly and stare at me "Correct!" she said, making me even more confused. She understood my confusion and explained further "Regardless whether you are behind or not, you need to keep moving, Just because the moon isn't ready to continue, doesn't mean it should just stay, it keeps going and going until the cycle is completed," I stayed silent and listened to her words.