Chapter 1

I've never been good with elevators.
Ever since I was young, they would terrify me. Every time I had to use one, I felt sick and disorientated.
Which was pretty unfortunate for me, because I lived in a place where there were a lot of elevators.
I can vaguely remember my mother. She had long, dark hair which was usually down round her shoulders. I always thought she was beautiful, but maybe I was too young to see the weariness in her eyes, or the constant worried look she wore even when she was smiling.
I was too young to remember the sun flares scorching our earth, and I was even too young to remember the initial effects of The Flare. Be thankful for small mercies. That's the only thing I can remember her saying.
When my best friend stopped turning up for Testing, I wasn't worried. People missed Testing Day all the time. She'd be back next week.
Except she wasn't. The week we were supposed to divide into pairs to solve a complicated puzzle, I was the odd one without a partner.
We started dropping like flies after that. Sonya, Margaret, Florence and Marie vanished next month. The Scientists never told us where they went.
Until it was our own turn.
"Do you know what this meeting is about, Rose?" The Man asked me.
"I think so."
"Next week, the 30th, you will undergo a complicated brain surgery."
I sat up straighter. "Wha-"
"If you choose not to undergo this surgery, you will die. If you choose to cooperate, however, the future of the human race will be forever benefited."
This made no sense to me. If I get a brain surgery, this mans children will be benefited? I open my mouth, but he holds up a finger to stop me.
"Don't ask questions. Just know that all your lessons and tests have led up to this point. It would be an awful shame for it to go to waste."
~~~~~~~~~~~~
They were hauling me towards a cage. They. Who were they? My head was spinning, growing foggier...
The cage. Not the cage. The cage held a bad omen. I knew it did.
I tried to protest, but my mouth was so heavy, I couldn't move it.
I felt my body hit the ground and the turn of a lock.
A loud whirring sound started. Elevator, no, I hated elevators...
And I was pulled under by sleep.