Technoleaf: Tower of Babel

I'm drunk off my ass, and the heavy beat is making my teeth rattle. Not bad for the mayor's son's first party. I had expected it to be tedious, with cops guarding the pillars of civilization or some shit. Not like the junkie slums filled with the soulless that I normally haunted, but then Freddie himself had invited me.

I was surprised the hot boy knew who I was. Me, Julia Castrillo. I mean, I'm considered a badass, sure, but that came more from desperate living and a penchant for fake leather because it at least partially blocked out the rain for short bursts. Oh, his face wasn't anything to look at, but his body? I wish his face were as pretty. A rich life takes him to the gym. Me and a bag of powdered donuts were better acquainted.

I was thinking about hurling when I looked down. I shouldn't have. I was standing on the roof deck's skylight. Below me was a neon light shaped like an Elephant's Ear—Granny used to grow them when she was living. It had ferns poking out of it. How the hell was I seeing this so clearly through this glass?

I looked up and around, my eyes connecting with Freddie's through a sea of people between us. Funny how I can't remember his last name. He raised a glass, as if toasting me. I smiled amusedly. No way in hell is that douche getting in my pants.

I felt the urge to look back down, with no reason to fear it. So I did. It felt closer, like I was standing in the soil with this neon footprint surrounding my feet.

I looked up again—the world was dark. I was no longer in a crowd of sweaty, irresponsible teens. The music pulsed dully, like I was outside the McMansion hosting it. A sharp sting of panic entered my veins, as this cannot be happening. I may hang around the slums, but I don't mess with no drugs, especially not any Old Man's LSD or Shrooms, and Ecstasy didn't do this.

One more glance down. I was still on an Elephant Ear, but another was lit up in front of me. I could feel it whispering Step on me.

So I do.

Then another.

And another.

How long have I been doing this?

I turned around to glance back and see the afterglow of the lights fading from behind me. So I ran towards where I came from, only to smack into an invisible wall as the lights faded.

Then the current light I was standing on disappeared. I shrieked as I was shoved onto the leaf behind me. So there is no way to go back? I only have forward.

I turned around and raced back to the other end, barely glancing down at my feet and screeching to a halt only halfway back.

Where are my clothes? I'm not ashamed of my body. Yes, it has some fat, probably a bit too Rubenesque for most guys, but I was told I had a nice rack.

Who told me that? All I could do was stare at the shape of the light as it filtered over my bare breasts, the color buckling over the protruding dimples. What are they called?

Nipples. The memory of the word comforted me, allowing my mind to wander back to the lit path in front of me. The joy of the chase flooded me again as I raced for its end.

The beat faded.

The distant tinkling of speech faded.

The knowledge of what the light was left me as I reached the end and patiently waited for the next blob of light and plants.

Green.

**step**

Green

**step**

Gree...

**step**

Gre...

**step**

Gr...

**step**

G...

**step**

**step**

** **

~~~

Sherriff Murkowski took to the podium in front of the press. Think of them as naked. It will be easier. He shook his head, trying to clear away the voice of his father, who wanted teachers with a PhD, not a brawler whose nose had been smashed too many times by the concrete and suspects alike. He sighed. He didn't need this shit on a day like this.

"We found a body on the corner of Prospet and 4th around 1 AM. We suspect the woman was around 5"6", but we aren't wholly sure, as it is missing its head. The only identification we have of who she is is the word Mercury branded on her thigh. If anyone has information pertaining to the deceased, we'll be grateful. This lady's family deserves closure. Thank you."

As usual, as soon as he stepped back from the podium, his third cousin took over, fielding further questions. The mayor may have made everything into a chance to display himself, but at least it kept him from being asked anything that would trigger what was really on his mind.

Why was this dead body in the precinct's kitchen, making cups of coffee for the men as they passed through? And why am I the only one who notices?