"sempu!" neteyam whispered, looking at you in worry. your head was down making it look as if your neck had gone limp. thick red liquid seeped from the nail-sized wounds down your palm, dripping onto the sand below. he couldn't tell exactly what you were feeling but the moment your eyebrows furrowed in confusion, he knew something was up.
jake's serious demeanour faded as he allowed himself to view you as a 14 year old, a child and not an 'extra person'. he took a deep breath before placing himself in between you & ronal.
neteyam stepped forward and gently grabbed your wrist, pulling you away from the centre of the crowd.  you lifted your head up and stared at jake and ronal, curious of the type of conversation they were having. you kept your silence as you allowed neteyam to inspect the wounds on your palms.

the ringing noise eventually died out and you turned your attention to the na'vi in front of you.
"they lied." you muttered. neteyam looked up at the sound of your voice, but froze at the meaning of your words. he had a feeling what he heard wasn't the whole truth when he watched lo'ak try to explain the situation, but was interrupted by the scolding voice of his father.
"nobody said anything. they just..." you breathed out, shaking you head in denial. "you...you knew he lied! I know you did! so why—" you breathing had become heavier and your chest was tightening as you spoke.

"y/n...." neteyam started. there wasn't anything to say, but he couldn't just stay silent.

"I'm your friend...aren't I? am I..not...somebody who...matters to you?" your voice had a tinge of desperation as you harshly rubbed your neck in an attempt to make breathing easier.
"you must understand...my mother—are you okay?" neteyam took hold of your wrist, pulling it away from your neck as it was doing more harm than good.

you open your mouth to speak but no words come out. now you were really struggling. nonetheless, you stay stubborn and rip your hand away from neteyam's hold and continue to rub your neck as you try to find some relief.

after defusing the situation, jake walked over to the pair of you, "y/n, we decided it was best if we continued this in the morning..." he trailed off as he noticed the current situation.
the harsh rubbing eventually turned into hitting your chest firmly. your legs buckled beneath you, forcing you to fall onto the sand below. the two na'vi immediately kneeled down in front of you as they tried to make sense of what was happening.

"y/n! y/n!" jake called, grabbing your attention. "calm down,  just take deep breaths."
your eyes narrowed at his words and you weakly hit his shoulder (it was clear you wanted to hit him way harder), as if you were saying, 'can't you see I'm trying to!?"

neteyam attempted to help you stand up, but was surprised when pushed him away.

"win säpi! we need to get some help," jake easily picked you up and started running towards the scientists' maui (it was really a make-shift lab).
suddenly, you let out a series of coughs and finally took a deep breath. jake stopped running and gently placed you back onto your feet, making sure to hold onto your shoulder in case you fell again. neteyam caught up to the two of you, placing a hand on your other shoulder as he watched you catch your breath.

"I'm fine...tomorrow morning it is," you panted, slowly starting to walk in the opposite direction, towards your maui. "keyawr fya'o." neteyam sighed, taking hold of your arm and pulling you towards the scientists' maui.

— —

after spending 45 minutes being examined, they concluded that the unknown device placed in your trachea had malfunctioned. jake and neteyam had stayed the whole 45 minutes, but with the tension from earlier in the evening it was just a long awkward silence.

once the scientists had finished, you rushed out of the maui not bothering to spare even a glance. at this point, you just wanted to sleep. this evening was a harsh wake-up call, making you question everything and everyone.