"I missed you too, Rik," he said, hugging me tight before pulling away. "Welcome home."

"Yeah, I guess so," I glance around at the vast amount of fields around us, and he nudges my arm.

"Oh, come on," he offers me a smile and leads me towards the car, as Pat—our pilot—loads my luggage into the trunk. "We're going to brunch. You can see everyone."

I give him my best sarcastic smile, "Yay."

He shakes his head at me, as he rounds the car to get into the driver's seat. "Get your ass in the car."

"Look, I know you're not exactly thrilled to be here, okay?" Evan turns his head towards me, and I look over at him. "Especially after what happened between you and R—"

"Can you not, Ev?" I quickly cut him off. "I really don't wanna talk about it."

"Okay, fine," he adjusts his grip on the steering wheel, and glances back at the road. "But lighten up. You don't even have to talk to him. Tiff and Sarah will be there."

"Tiff's home?" I asked, feeling slightly better about attending this brunch.

Evan nods. "She got in last night."

Tiffany, or Tiff as we call her, was Topper's older sister and Evan's girlfriend of three years. Since her parents were just as anal as mine about her playing the role of the "perfect daughter," she came to understand me better than anyone. Last summer, all we'd talk about was our plans to leave this place behind. And though, we both technically succeeded, at least for nine months out of the year, I'd say she was much better off than I was. She headed for USC, happier than ever, while I left for New York with a hole in my heart.

One that only he can fill, so how does that work? How do you fix a heart that can only be fixed by the one who broke it?

I'm pulled out of my thoughts when Evan pulls into a parking spot at the Island Club with a sign that read Reserved for Cooper and kills the engine.

"Come on, let's go," he takes off his seatbelt and moves to open his door.

I hold back a groan and follow him out of the car.

Let's just get this shit over with.

We head towards the club, and immediately upon walking in, are greeted by the concierge.

"Mr. and Ms. Cooper," the redheaded lady smiles at us, and rounds her desk to have us follow her. "We've been expecting you. Brunch is in the Emerald Room today."

She leads us to a banquet hall decked up with white and yellow drapings, and white round tables complete with ivory white table cloth, a centerpiece vase of white and yellow lilies, and silverware wrapped in sunshine yellow napkins with twine on top of fine china, while fellow kooks mingled and caught up on whatever was new.

By the sound of whispers amongst the crowd the second we walked in, that new thing was me.

"Oh my god, you're here!" I don't even fully process what's going on when Tiffany comes up to greet us and throws her arms around me in a hug. "I missed you so much, Rik."

I squeeze her back and we separate a second later. "I missed you too, Tiff."

"Hey, babe," she shares a peck with Evan, before he places a hand on my back and tells me, "I'm gonna go find mom and dad."

I give him a nod, and he walks away, while Tiff takes my hand in hers and pulls me towards an empty table. "Come on, you have to tell me everything."

"What is there to tell, Tiff?" I asked, as we both pulled out a chair to sit down.