I Say I Don't Want That, but What if I Do?

Start from the beginning

"It can't! You know that. You've seen how insane it's been: the paparazzi, our schedules, the fans. If this was real, he would have run for the hills by now. I can't go through that again. I'm not ready."

"Oh sweetie," Blake pulled her in for a hug. Blake had been by Taylor's side during her last breakup and it was heartbreaking to watch. She knew Taylor still felt fragile, despite her outward appearances. "I know. Okay, no dating. Then why 'Code Red'?"

"Do you think I can kiss him at midnight and not ruin everything? And not fall so hopelessly in love that I can't crawl my way back out and I get swallowed up and end up breaking my own heart and then being even more damaged than I already was?" Taylor's eyes were pleading.

"Well, what do you think?"

"I think his mustache is really hot and I want to make out with him and I will die if I don't."

"Sounds like you have your answer!" Blake smiled.

"But no romance. Just friends. That can make out this one time. It's a HOLIDAY," Taylor said a little too loudly.

"It's a holiday!" Blake cheered in agreement. Blake hugged her again and kissed her on the cheek. "It is okay to have fun. Now, go find that mustache. Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year, Blake," Taylor ventured back into the party.

-

While Travis was welcoming and chatting with his friends, his mind was on one thing: Taylor. In between laughs, he'd scan the crowd, making sure she was still there and smiling. At 5'11" with a headful of bouncy blonde curls, she was never too hard to find. She had been talking to Blake and was now heading back into the party, scanning the room. Looking for him?

"Excuse me, guys. Happy New Year," Travis bowed out of his conversation to go to her. He made his way through the crowd, never looking away from her. She stood in the middle of the dance floor, the lights above bathing her in glittering light. Everything about her was golden: her hair, her dress, her skin. He knew she was a mastermind, but could she have planned all this? Then those blue eyes found what she was looking for: him. Her face lit up and Travis could've sworn an arrow went right through his heart.

She waved him over and he obliged. "Hey," he said, standing close.

"Hey, I was looking for you," she said, looking up at him. "Wanna dance?"

"Uh DUH," he laughed loudly.

They danced to everything from Hot Stuff to Fleetwood Mac's Dreams. During Dancing Queen, Travis serenaded Taylor while twirling her around. They were spinning and singing and laughing. Their fun was infectious and the dance floor filled up more and more.

Just before midnight, the band began to play a slow song; the opening of Donna Summer's Last Dance. Travis grabbed Taylor to pull her close, draping her arms around his neck and putting his hands around her small waist.

Inches apart, Taylor looked up at him. "So Travis..."

"10! 9!" the countdown began around them.

"Mhmm?" he asked. He could only half listen to her; the rest of his faculties were useless, drowned out by bliss. He could not tell you who was even a foot away from them; to him, it was only them.

"8! 7!" the crowd chanted.

"It's almost midnight. We have to kiss at midnight," she murmured.

"Mmhmm, have to. No choice," he said into her ear. He felt a shiver run down her spine.

"6! 5!"

"Well, since it is a holiday. I think we could suspend the nothing physical rule," she looked nervously into his eyes, biting her lower lip. Without letting go, Travis pulled back to get a better look at her face and make sure he understood her meaning.