And Just Like a Folk Song

The previous night had been unreal. They'd had to switch up a few things due to his knee, but they managed just fine. Travis now had a whole new list of things he'd do when he was healed up. Talk about motivation to do his physical therapy exercises.

He hadn't slept in her room, instead getting one more kiss in before leaving with, "Tomorrow morning. Flat whites." He'd rightfully thought that waking up together may be too close to "dating" for her, and he was desperate not to do anything to jeopardize that happening again. When he got back to his room, he barely slept, preferring to remember everything on a loop.

-

Little did he know Taylor was also awake, wrestling with the feelings she wasn't supposed to be having. She knew hooking up with Travis would make everything more complicated for her, but last night was worth every anxiety and every fear. She was quickly realizing she'd choose him over her fears every time. She'd just think about their night together and melt. She suddenly did not care at all if her relationships were cursed or if she'd screw things up somehow - she wasn't giving him up. She had some work to do.

-

The next morning, Travis texted her.

TK: You up?

TS: Yeah?

TK: Can I bring you that coffee I promised? I picked up two across the street. And two egg and cheeses.

Taylor was feeling a bit hungover and an egg and cheese breakfast sandwich sounded incredible. Seeing Travis also sounded incredible.

TS: My savior. Yes.

Travis had somehow balanced a tray with two coffees and the bag with the sandwiches, while on crutches. Taylor rushed over to help. "Thank you! How'd you know I needed an egg and cheese this morning?" she asked.

"Because I needed one! Actually two. I bought three and ate one while they were making the drinks," he smiled.

Taylor set up the sandwiches and coffee on a small table next to the couch.

"Can I play you a song I've been working on? It's not done yet, but I'd like you to hear it," Taylor asked. Travis could tell she seemed nervous, but didn't know why. They were usually so comfortable together, and she'd played stuff for him dozens of times. She knew how much he loved to hear her works in progress. He never provided much valuable critique because he genuinely thought everything she played was "your best yet!"

He sat down, careful of his knee, and put his two fists under his chin. He nodded like a child in a beauty pageant doing their best "cutesie" face. "Yes please!" he responded.

"Oh God," Taylor moaned. She was always pretending to find him annoying, but they both knew she loved it. The more annoyed she acted, the more Travis hammed it up. Taylor went on, "Travis, this is serious!"

"Oh, okay okay," Travis then sat very straight and clasped his hands in his lap, a poised gentleman. This was also to bug her. Taylor glared and said, "I can't with you. I'm just going to start."

Taylor picked up her guitar and came to sit next to him. He finally sat back like a normal person. Strumming her guitar, she began to play and sang:

I used to fear the leap, afraid to take the chance,

Doubted my heart's whispers, I'd been wrong in every dance.But then you walked into my life, a light I couldn't deny,I was scared to fall for you, didn't want another try.

But I was wrong about being wrong, 'cause with you, it's clear,

You make me feel safe, my doubts all disappear.In your eyes, I'm found, in your arms, I'm free,I thought I knew the score, but I was blind to what could be,

This story's just beginning, it's a revelation, you and me.

As the last notes rang out, Taylor looked up at Travis, searching his face.

"Taylor..." Travis started, stunned. He frequently felt like an idiot about things, but was that what he thought it was? He was terrified to say anything at the risk of being wrong.

Taylor took a deep breath, her voice already feeling shaky, "Travis. You were the last person I expected, but exactly who I needed. I really thought I had everything figured out, but I was so wrong. I was wrong so many times before, that I thought my feelings about you must've been wrong too, but that was wrong," she laughed lightly while wiping away a tear. "God I'm a mess. But you've been kind, you've been patient, you've been understanding. You've never asked me to be smaller; you only wanted me to shine. I can be my full self with you. My whole dramatic, messy, cat-loving self. You showed me what unconditional love and support looks like. It felt so foreign to me from a relationship that I didn't even realize it was happening."

She wiped away a tear and went on, "With you, I'm not scared. Because even if my worst fears come true and everything goes absolutely sideways, it'll have been worth it. To be loved by you is worth it. In my typical way, this is a very dramatic and messy way to say: I'm finally ready, if you'll still have me. And I realize we aren't even dating yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm in love with you."

As an answer, Travis leaned over and pulled her into a kiss.

The End.

-
If you liked this story, please share it with your friends and follow me. I had a lot of fun writing this, so maybe I'll have another idea for these two in the future.