"What do you mean by tried? How long has this been going on? What happened?" Kelly fires off in quick succession, not holding back.

"We've been separated for a little over five months now," I say quietly, but I don't explain. I don't know that I can say the words tonight, I'm too emotionally spent already to give Logan and Clarissa any more of my energy today.

"Why do none of you," Rachel points across the table, "Look surprised?"

Milly winces, "We sort of already knew."

Rachel's mouth drops slightly.

"I'm sorry Rach," Jana says, "We swore not to tell anyone until she was ready. Please don't be mad."

"I'm not," Rachel replies, "Maybe a little hurt I wasn't in the loop, I hope you know you can trust me, Elora."

I touched her arm, "Rachel, please, it wasn't that I didn't trust you. You've had so much going on with Victoria and her health and Dax too." Rachel's daughter had been having some mysterious health issues for the past six months. Doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong, but it had been scary for them with her randomly collapsing. Her twin brother had been really scared too and started acting out at school, getting into fights and neglecting his classes. I hadn't included her in the loop because she's had enough going on.

Looking over at Kelly, I say, "You too." Her ex had been diagnosed with early-onset dementia and had no living relatives, meaning Kelly had stepped up to become his caregiver. It had been tough on her and their kids.

"I didn't know what was going to happen either, for the longest time," I say placing both hands on the table to smooth down the tablecloth. "I thought there was a chance we'd make it."

I swallow, "but that was a pipe dream."

"I am so so sorry Elora." Kelly sighs. "You were..."

"She knows," Gale chimes in, "I think that kind of pressure, you know of constantly being told your life is like a Pinterest board, is why she's been so quiet about it all. So I think it's best we don't dwell on what was."

Gale gives the table at large a tight smile.

I stare at Gale with grateful eyes.

Finally, I whisper, "I feel like a fraud."

"Oh, Honey. No, that couldn't be further from the truth!" Rachel gasps.

I give her a sad smile as George reappears with our drinks, giving me a reprieve and a change in subject.

We move on to how Rachel's kids are doing now, which thankfully, there's been an improvement. Unfortunately, it appears Victoria has hyponatremia and that was causing Bradycardia so now they have her on a course of medication to try to manage it.

We also discuss Jana's new book, an age-gap trope that hits all the right check marks for a sunshine-grump meet-cute trope. She got an agent about six months ago and the book's release is coming up in a few short weeks. Something we're all super excited about because we've all read a manuscript copy and I just know it's going to be flying off the shelves.

"I'm going to run to the bathroom," I say to no one in particular and stand as George finishes taking our food order.

My heels clack against the marble floor as I make my way through the rows of tables and turn the corner to the bathrooms, running right into a solid form. My hands come up instinctively to brace myself against the chest in front of me, a hand grabs my wrist in response as the other grabs my waist and I look up.

"You," I say quietly, taking in the appearance of my former airplane seatmate. My hands instinctively flex against his chest.

I'd say he cleans up nicely, but fuck, he was "cleaned up" before.