Chapter 5.5

The rest of the day passed in a daze. It was almost noon when the final bell rang. The academic classes for the day were over. Reiki had stared to feel dizzy. She had accidentally skipped out on last night's dinner and she'd woken up too late for breakfast. Her stomach growled in protest, as she packed her sling bag, ready to leave the class.

"Want one?" Shoko's voice came from behind her.
"They help with the hunger." She said offering a cigarette.

"I almost didn't see you." Reiki smiled.

"I was at the back of the class today. You don't smoke?"

"I've never tried it."
Reiki barely knew what a cigarette was. She had once seen a sorcerer smoke when she was a child. Only later in her life, she had discovered that cigarettes weren't a delicacy for sorcerers, rather a common habit among many humans provided they could afford it.

"You seem pretty out of it today." Shoko commented.

"It's just the hunger maybe. I'll see you at lunch. You have to help me prepare for the assessment tomorrow." Reiki smiled.

"Oh yea, don't worry about that. Anyway, it's just a formality. They know all newbies are grade 4 sorcerers. Nothing to assess really."

Reiki bowed slightly to show her gratitude.
"See you later then!" Reiki said with all the excitement she could gather.

"See ya!" Shoko mumbled her words, holding the cigarette between her lips.

Through the corner of her eye, Reiki could see them. Suguru and Satoru in the corner of the class, arguing over something. Suguru looked frustrated, losing his usual poise. As she left the class, she felt it again. She was in the field of their combined gaze, this time.

"Were they already suspicious of her?" She wondered, biting her lip in anger, drawing blood.