Danny hand found your forearm in the dark. His gentle, reassuring touch instantly sent a spread of warmth across your fear-chilled skin and grounded you to the preset. Your cheeks flushed and even though your eyes had adjusted to the dark by now, you were glad he wasnt able to see just how brightly. He gave you a little smile.

Im sure Josh and Jake will notice were missing any minute now.

~

The reality of the situation was that while you and Danny were stood by the door, hoping and praying that Josh and Jake were nearby, they were actually taking their sweet time exploring the house. They were giving it their complete, undivided, and unafraid attention, and werent thinking once about you or Danny, or where you were. And while they didnt realize it, theyd spent the better part of an hour exploring every nook and cranny of the kitchen before theyd finally gotten into the parlor where you and Danny had been before.

And of course, they began exploring every nook and cranny of that room, too.

When Jake saw the hat, it was really a no-brainer to pick it up. It was a dark, dusty leather, with a wide brim and fit with a few flouncy feathers around its crown. He almost giggled at the sight of it.

Hey, Josh,

Yeah? Josh said, distracted by the trinket he was currently eyeing.

How do you like my hat?

Not moving his head to look at him, Josh replied, The one you just got? I mean, I dont know if the whole cowboy thing suits you but if you—

No, Josh, look, Jake pressed.

Josh looked up and immediately grimace at the sight of that hat on his brothers head. Oh, thats so gross. Do you know how old that thing is?

Do you think thus could be my new look? Jake asked with a smirk, turning on his heel and giving him another angle to look at.

Its better than the cowboy hat.

Jake went serious for a moment. You dont like my cowboy hat?

Its not that I dont like, its that it doesnt like you, Josh huffed a laugh. Jake scowled at him, and Josh laughed even harder. Im just teasing you. I like it if you like it.

Well, now Im not so sure anymore, Jake huffed.

You know who would wear it? Sam. Or even Danny.

Speaking of, Jake started, as he hung the hat back up on the rack. Where are Danny and Y/N? I havent seen them in a while.

They went down that hallway, remember?

Do you think theyve been down there a while?

Josh shrugged; he wasnt particularly worried. Im sure theyre fine. He looked to Jake and snickered, Its probably good for them to have some time alone, anyway.

~

Josh! Jake! Can you hear me? you shouted through the door for what you knew was like the hundredth time. You banged your fists on the door, even though they were beginning to ache. And, as it was with every time before, there was no answer.

You gave a defeated sigh. It felt as if you and Danny had been in there for hours, even though it couldnt have been more than thirsty minutes. And in that time, you tried everything you knew you could, over and over and over again to try and get someones attention. But nobody had come.

You were beginning to freak out. It felt as if the room was getting even stuffier, as if the walls were closing and trying to eat you alive, even though you and Danny hadnt even moved from the door. And Danny, he was just acting so composed about it all. You wanted to soak in all the easiness and let it swallow your anxieties; however, your fear of the dark, coupled with your newly discovered feats of ghosts had your breath quickening with every passing minute.