Chapter 30

Jack

She left, she actually left. I laid there on the ground, looking in the direction where I last saw her, remembering the pain she had in her eyes.
I did that, I hurt her.

I knew I should have never kept this from her. I knew the risk, but I didn't wanna betray her father's trust.

I couldn't get up, my body was still injured from Athenas flames. I couldn't shift and my body gave up on me. The last thing I remembered was Reed running to me and covering me with a blanket. I thought I heard Athenas voice, but I blacked out before I could hear what she had to say.

******************

"Jack....Jack....JACK!"

I woke up feeling dizzy. I was sweating like crazy, but not from the heat. I opened my eyes and scanned the room.
I'm in Athenas old room, how did I get here?

I sniffed the air, taking in her scent. I felt a lump start to form in my throat when I realized she was gone. I tried to sit up, but quickly felt a sharp pain on my chest. I pulled the blanket down and saw that someone must have wrapped my wounds up.

I slowly get up to a sitting position and my head got even dizzier. I heard a knock on the door and Nate walked in holding a glass of water. He walks over to the bed and placed the water on the bed side table. He grabbed the chair that was in the corner of the room and sat down next to me.

"What happened?" He ask.
"I fucked up." I tell him.
"What did do?"

I tried to take a deep breath but my chest stung like hell. I probably deserved this pain, I deserved not being able to breath.
"Athenas father is dying." I say.
"So I heard, but what does this have to do with you?" He asked.
"I kept it from her." Nate moved forward from his chair and placed his elbows on his knees and closed his hands together
"What?"

I took another deep breath, feeling the same sharp pain in my chest. "Athenas father came to me a few weeks ago. It was right after Cole showed up. He said he had something important to talk me about, so I agreed to meet with him. Sadly he told me he was dying, that something was making him weaker by the day. He said he didn't know what it was, but that him and his men were searching for answers. He asked me not to tell Athena, he didn't wanna worry her." I stop, trying to keep the tears in. My wolf and I were in so much pain, but not physically.

"I promised to keep it a secret until we figured it out, but days turned into weeks and we still had no answers. To top it off, Marcus's appearances got worse and he had to start making excuses to why he couldn't see Athena. I could tell that it was hurting her. So I decide to go talk to him. I told him how I couldn't keep his secret anymore, that it hurts me to lie to her everyday. Thankfully he agreed to tell her today but we never had the chance too."

The room fell silent, Nate didn't say a word. I didn't know if he was disappointed in me too or if he understood me. Either way, he wasn't the one I wanted to forgive me. I wanted Athena to hear me out, but I might never get the chance too.

"You're a fucking idiot you know that." He says in an angry voice. I could use my alpha's voice and put him in his place but I knew I deserved it.

"I understand that you promised her father and I can see how you respect him, so much so you had to keep this a secret. But dude, she's your mate, our Luna, you are supposed to tell each other everything regardless if her father gets mad. Thats what you both swore too. She already feels like everyone see's her as a monster. She feels like no one can tell her anything and she always feel's left out of things." He says frustrated, but then he takes a deep breath. "But as stupid as you are, your a respectable man who thought he was doing the right thing."