【Chapter 16】

Start from the beginning

She only knew her own team. Her Lightsout Boys. And now two of them were dead.

Jax got sniped off while he was on patrol. They didn't know where the shot came from, but it was one hell of a shot. He didn't suffer, died on impact. He never knew what happened to Sam, and Beadie was sort of glad she didn't have to break the news for him.

Jax was usually a calm and collected guy. It wasn't easy to piss him off. He mostly operated like a machine. But Sam was like a little brother to him.

"Is everything alright?" she stepped further into the control room, her eyes looking over the many monitors and camera feeds. She couldn't spot what she was looking for just now.

"Yes, ma'am," the one that was still seated replied with a gentle nod, pressing a few buttons on the keyboard in front of him.

And there he was. Another feed appeared on the middle monitor's top right corner. It was a little hard to make out what it was, but she could see a man lying on the floor, motionless. But she recognized his clothing in an instant; she could never erase the last image of him from her mind.

"How's our prisoner?" Beadie asked, her tone bland and not giving away anything. Just like she wanted to sound like.

"Still knocked out," Keyboard Guy replied, continuing to type away. His eyes scanned the monitors in front of them quickly, a few command lines appearing on the far left monitor. By the looks of it, he tried to get into the security system.

"Graves plans on interrogating him when he gets back," the other Shadow added from behind her. She nodded slightly as she leaned on the table, getting a closer look at the footage.

She could see a few other of Alejandro's men in cells, beaten and locked away. Most of them didn't look good, just like their Colonel. She hoped nothing too bad happened to Alejandro – but he started to worry her by being so still. So motionless.

Like a dead body, locked away in a dark room.

She had to check on him. Right now.

"I'll interrogate him."

The two Shadows shared a look, clearly not sure about this. Beadie held back an eye-roll as she straightened her spine, giving both soldiers a sharp look. She started to get fed up by all these men, her soldiers doubting her. If it were Graves to say and do the things she did, they wouldn't even second-guess.

He trusts me more, she wanted to say. But then she remembered she owned none of them any explanation. Graves usually didn't give them any explanation or reasons for why he was doing what he was doing. And as his second-in-command, she could get away with the same thing.

"Open the door for me when I get there," was the only thing Beadie said to them before she stormed out, her eyes a stormy blue from all the built-up tension.

Neither of the Shadows dared to say anything as the woman slammed the door behind herself as they went back to work without another word.

╚⏤⏤⏤╗❀╔⏤⏤⏤╝

Beadie had a small first-aid kit in her hand as she approached the cell where they were keeping Alejandro. With every step closer to the cell, she felt her pulse quicken, an unknown force making her pick up the pace. She wanted to see him. She needed to see him. Make sure he's okay.

She stopped outside of his cell, the metal door being the only thing keeping her away from the man so close to her heart. The blonde turned to look at the camera that looked at the door, her gaze boring into it as she waited for one of the Shadows to finally open it like she ordered them to.