1. A Magical Decision

The surrounding air was sweet, the humidity felt sticky on one's skin that felt distinctly similar to picking up rice cakes dipped in warm honey.

In a serene corner of the tsuboniwa garden in a quaint, traditional Japanese minka, rows of vibrant hydrangeas blooms, its delicate petals radiating shades of azure and amethyst, gracefully juxtaposed against the lush greenery.

A calico cat, its coat a symphony of black, orange, and white, gracefully strolls through the tsuboniwa garden, its every step serenaded by the soft, golden chime of the bell adorning its collar, breaking the tranquillity that befell the garden.

Alfie followed the cat's graceful trot along the path of the garden, sporting a light cotton kimono in turquoise hue, his raven black hair gathered in a half-up ponytail.

He heard the cat's soft meow, saw its long slender tail swishing as it settled near the small pond that held a school of Koi fish. Alfie crouched down to pet the calico's head, cooing at the feline.

The sight would make one swoon with adoration, seeing the young boy entertain a playful cat. Lyra watched her son from the window of her study inside the minka, a wistful look crossed her features. She could sense a shift in the floorboards as another pair of footsteps made their way to stand by her side, watching with her as Alfie chased the cat across the garden, climbing up the twisting trunk of a large tree.

"He has quite the energy, reminds me of when you were at Hogwarts." said the man who stood beside her. Lyra turned to look at him, noticing the sweep of grey and white hair that framed his gentle hawk-ish features.

The man is wrapped in a navy blue scarf with gold swirls decorating its fabric, a blue frock coat hides the purple tunic, and grey pants that he wore. His features settled into a gentle smile as they locked eyes. Lyra returned his smile, "I was full of curiosity that time..." she sighed, her gaze returning to watch her son once more.

"He has a bit too much mischief than one could handle." she continued.

Lyra straightened her back, tilting her chin up slightly as she took in a resolute breath and she turned towards her study instead, choosing to entertain her guest. She swept her hand over to the cushioned seat across from the study table. "Please, sit... Professor Fig." Lyra said with a serene, welcoming tone.

"Oh, please... I believe you're not a student anymore..." mused Professor Fig who carefully limped his way to the chair he was invited to sit on. "We are... I believe, colleagues now. Eleazar would do." he smiled and took a seat with a satisfied hum as his weary bones seemed to ease with the marvellous padding of the chair. Lyra nodded, moving to take her seat across from him.

"Eleazar..." Lyra tried to correct herself but felt a little awkward addressing her former teacher by his first name. She smoothed down her skirt then rested her hands on top of her desk. "Am I right to say that, you've come to visit my home with some proposition? Or at least some news?"

Professor Fig let out a chuckle that expressed his bashful surprise at how perceptive Lyra is. He expressed his surprise as such then cleared his throat as he began to explain. "You're quite right, Lyra... I came to talk to you about the incident during the festival with some tugs... and about your son."

Lyra's brows furrowed as she listened, "I can assure you it is purely accidental... Kisuri Yamamoto was instigating me and my son... we did what was necessary to protect ourselves."

"Oh don't mistake this for an interrogation, Lyra!" Professor Fig cut in, waving his hand gently in a placating manner, attempting to quell Lyra's defensiveness. "I am merely offering an opportunity."

"As I recall, you are currently teaching in ... Ma-how-to-ko-row? Does Alfie attend the same school?" Professor Fig asked.

Lyra narrowed her eyes, she had an inkling as to where Professor Fig is going with this but she decided to play along. "It's Mahoutokoro. And no... he's home schooled... it's," she paused, trying to think of a proper word to express her protectiveness over her child. "Safer."