prologue.

written for caveau enjoy <3

it was common sense that your skin was a whiteboard to communicate with your soulmate. everybody knew that, and everybody gushed about the idea of meeting their other half.

arlecchino was once like them, too. she had learned to write and read at an early age, longing for someone who would understand her, unlike the peers she was born alongside with. however, her hopes began to come crashing down when she never received any replies. she would spend days on end, waiting for a tingling sensation on the skin of her right arm, a sign that her soulmate would've written back, but never did she get to experience that sensation. until, eventually, she stopped caring.

she forgot about the idea of finding true love, and at a young age, joined a criminal organisation known as the fatui. what used to be once a girl full of joy and life became someone cunning, with no fear of death, no fears at all actually, and little to no emotions.

but on the twenty first of october, she experienced what could be labelled as chills down her spine for the first time. it was unfamiliar, but comforting. people she frequented back then had often told her about what it felt like, and she had spent countless nights wondering how the ink would magically appear on her body.

this was more heartwarming then anything she had ever imagined. then again, it felt cold, when she realised how stupid she probably looked. irritated, she pulled up her sleeve, revealing the simplest- yet first message she had ever received from her soulmate.

hi :)

it read.