~~~

"You know, Dream's been pretty quiet since the Independence War." Technoblade shifted his copy of The Art of War to the side so he could set down his teacup. "I've been thinkin' about puttin' him in therapy, actually. Get him to talk about his feelings with someone who can help."

"That's a good idea," Philza agreed. He took a sip of his tea, then glanced over at Niki, who was practically strangling her cup with her white-knuckled grip. "Niki? Is something wrong?"

"Please," Niki blurted, on the verge of tears. "Please see through whatever witchcraft this is-- I don't know why you all think that's a real person--"

"Hush Niki, enjoy your tea." To punctuate his point, Philza reached across the table and refilled her teacup. "You've been so rude ever since Dream joined our book club. He just doesn't talk much. Don't judge him for that-- it hurts his feelings." He turned to his left, where 'Dream' had been propped up in a chair. "Are you okay, Dream?"

The cardboard cutout continued to stare blankly at the rapidly-cooling tea set in front of it. Philza nodded like it had poured out the contents of its nonexistent soul to him and turned back to Niki. "See? You shouldn't judge him so harshly."

Niki gave up all decorum, put her face in her hands, and sobbed.

~~~

"So how was your vacation?"

"Poggers," Tommy chirped. "Man, Tubs, it's good to see you. How's L'Manberg been?"

"Pretty good! We're operating as a stable democracy now. Wilbur just brokered a trade deal with Dr-- ahem, George last week."

Tommy stopped in his tracks. "Wait, George?"

Tubbo blinked at him. "Yeah? Dream ran off for his own vacation about a day after you - declared George king of the SMP first, so he took over ruling duties."

"Huh," Tommy said. "I missed a lot."

Tubbo snickered. "Oh, you did. Prime, Tommy, it's been a long three months-- I have so much to tell you."

Tommy side-eyed him. "Do I want to know?"

"Oh, definitely." Before Tommy could question that ominous statement, Tubbo jabbed a finger at the horizon. "Look! It's Jack!"

Tommy turned. Indeed, Jack Manifold stood stock-still on the Prime Path. His gaze bored into them as they approached.

Brushing Jack's strange expression off as surprise at his appearance, Tommy strode up to him and offered him a handshake. "Ay, Jack Manifold! Haven't seen you in a while, how are you? How's the hotel business going?"

Jack stared blankly at them. "No," he said, and promptly turned and walked away. Tommy blinked at his retreating back, then lowered his hand and turned to Tubbo.

". . . Did I say something wrong?"

Tubbo was laughing too hard to reply.

~~~

"Sounds like George's been doing a pretty good job."

"Don't sound so surprised," Sapnap joked. Dream rolled his eyes, turning away from the newly-built Kinoko sector of L'Manberg. He caught sight of a figure standing several feet away.

"Oh hey, it's Niki. Niki!" he called, waving at her. "Hi!"

Slowly, Niki turned around. She stared at him for a long moment. Gradually, Dream began to realize something was off-- her hair was unkempt, her eyes wild, and her hands were clenched into shaking fists.