"That's so sweet, Sophia. But, there's something I've been meaning to ask. When are you going to tell your dad about this whole love affair? You can't keep it under wraps forever."

My joyous mood took a slight dip. The father-daughter dynamic wasn't exactly a topic I was eager to delve into. "Kylie, you know it's not that simple. I mean, my dad is the quintessential overprotective parent. And telling him I'm dating his best friend? That's like throwing dynamite into a bonfire."

Kylie chuckled, "Dramatic metaphor, but I get it. Still, Sophia, you can't hide this forever. Eventually, you'll have to tell him."

I sighed, feeling the weight of the unspoken challenge. "I know, Kylie. I know. But timing is everything, and I haven't figured out the perfect moment. Besides, I'm not ready to navigate the storm that will follow."

She sighed on the other end, "Sophia, I get it, I do. But secrets have a way of surfacing, especially ones involving love. Trust me; it's better to come clean sooner than later."

The truth in her words resonated, but the courage to act upon them eluded me. "Kylie, you make it sound so easy. Maybe, when you're here for Thanksgiving, we can strategize on the best way to break the news to my dad."

She laughed, "Deal! We'll form a tactical plan over turkey and mashed potatoes. But seriously, Sophia, you've got to face this sooner or later."

As the call ended, I leaned back into the cushions, mulling over Kylie's advice. 

****

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm glow over the cobblestone streets of the quaint French village. Henry and I strolled hand in hand, basking in the afterglow of a perfect day.

"Henry, I wish we could stay here forever," I mused, looking up at the twinkling stars emerging in the indigo sky.

A mischievous smile played on Henry's lips. "Well, Sophia, we could. We could disappear into the French countryside and live happily ever after."

I chuckled. "As tempting as that sounds, we have lives to return to. Responsibilities."

Henry's smile faded, replaced by a look of determination. "Speaking of responsibilities, Sophia, we need to talk. About us."

My heart fluttered, and not in the way that usually accompanied his charming suggestions. "What's there to talk about? We're happy, right?"

Henry sighed, running a hand through his salt-and-pepper hair. "Sophia, I'm tired of keeping our relationship a secret. I want to talk to your father when we get back."

I stopped dead in my tracks, my eyes widening. "What? Are you serious, Henry? You can't just drop that bombshell out of nowhere!"

He turned to face me, his eyes serious. "Sophia, I love you. I've been keeping this secret out of respect for you and your dad, but it's time. It's time he knows the truth."

I felt a knot forming in my stomach. "Henry, you don't understand. My dad is... well, he's not exactly the most open-minded person. He's protective, and if he finds out about us, he's going to lose it."

Henry raised an eyebrow. "Sophia, your dad and I go way back. We've been through thick and thin together. He deserves to know."

I crossed my arms, frustration bubbling. "Deserves to know? Henry, this is not a fairy tale. This is real life, and in real life, revealing our relationship could cause chaos."

He took a step closer, his eyes searching mine. "Sophia, we can't keep pretending forever. It's not fair to us, and it's certainly not fair to your dad. Let's face this together."