06. Chapter Six.

*/ Chapter Six - Secrets

In London, Evelyn's mornings would start with her breakfast laid out, followed by an outfit carefully picked out by Sutton to ensure that she looked every bit worthy of being her successor. Every thread of hair was carefully pulled back into a low bun, only a few strands hanging on either side of Evelyn's face. Sutton's girls—family, or not—were always prim and proper. It would be a cold day in hell before she allowed anyone to see those working under the Kelly & Kin name not put together. Evelyn would usually walk to work unaccompanied, taking in the morning air.

This time is different. This time, she'd be accompanied by John Shelby. Evelyn insisted persistently that he needn't walk her to work. It's not like that was happening was real—but John had been just as adamant that it was all the more reason for it. Francis had followed them home the night that he kissed her, and John was stuck in their living room until the wee hours of the morning to finally leave.

Even then, Francis' car was parked out front, and he was smoking a pipe like he wasn't staking out the house of an innocent girl.

"Morning," John greeted, voice a little scratchy. There was a bruise sticking out of the corner of his neck, just peeking through his shirt collar. It hadn't been from Evelyn, that was for sure. He had probably gone out after their false escapade to get some real action. Still, it worked in their favour, because at the rate they were meeting, they should've been going at it like bunnies. 

"Morning," Evelyn greeted as the cold bit at her cheeks, her skin slightly flushed from the morning air. Her gloves were already on, and Michael stepped out right behind her. He closed the door, locking it for extra security, as he came to a stop before the two of them. 

"No fuckin' funny business." Michael pointed a finger in John's direction before he started his walk in the opposite direction that they would be going to—John had every intention of dropping Evelyn off at the tailors first. 

"Do you think he'll ever understand that this isn't real?" John mused. Though, it wasn't like he could blame Michael. If it had been Ada...

"Just ignore him." Evelyn tugged her coat tighter around herself, starting her walk down the path to her workplace.