° Chapter One •

~• Loaine Lorain •~

Something flew by fast next to Loaine's head, her brown hair not up in her bun whipping at her face as she tried to catch a glimpse of the speeding bullet. She pulled up the camera in her hands to her face and clicked. Click, click, click. Her camera was old but good at what it did and sure enough when she went to look at the pictures, Loaine saw the one and only Sylistico. In one he was looking right at her, a frown on his face. She rolled her eyes and walked up to James, her camera guy.

"Ready?" She nodded, fixing her hair one last time before plastering a fake smile on her lips. James counted down from three on his fingers and at one pointed to her. She took a deep breath, getting ready for the slop she was about to announce.

"Good afternoon citizens of Meriace City! I'm Loaine Lorain and today we've got some big news for you! Behind me," Loaine continued, turning her body slightly to gesture behind her," you can see fellow citizens watching the action as our very own Sylistico is saving the day yet again!" She waits a moment, the smile fading away, as James moves the camera away from her face and zoomes in on the action of Sylistico fighting an evil robot thing. Loaine sighs, James giving her a curious look before she rolls her eyes. James motions to her and the smile comes back.

"Well folks, looks like its another victory for Sylistico! We'll catch you later with this evening's news. I'm Loaine Lorain and I'll see you next time!" She smiles for three seconds before James holds up a hand signaling the end. She sighs, her smile gone, as the robot behind her disappears into the sky with Sylistico. James packs up the equipment and turns to her.

"Need a ride?" Without looking at him, her gaze still on the sky, Loaine shakes her head.

"Nope, I've got one." James nods his head, looking to the sky too for a moment before jumping into the van and taking off. The wind whips aginst Loaine's face, her arms crossed over her chest unfazed, a frown furrowing her beautiful face. "You're late." Sylistico shrugs and smiles at Loaine.

"Hello to you too." Loaine scoffs, a smirk on her face. Sylistico holds his arms out in question. "Still need that ride?" Loaine looks at his arms, hers falling loosely to her sides. She nods slowly and Sylistico scoops her up in his arms carefully. He squats slightly before they are up in the air, Loaine's eyes wide at the view. Her arms remain relaxed around Sylistico's neck, his blonde hair blowing through the fast wind. She smiles and reaches out to touch it when he gives her a glare in warning.

Loaine smirks and touches his soft hair, the last thing she does before she's falling through the air. She stares as the high buildings come closer to her and feels her anger rising, the emotion covering up her fear.

"Sylistico!" Loaine's eyes widen as she barely misses a telephone wire at the top of a building. She feels arms wrap around her waist securely and brought close to a hard chest. She glares up at him, arms crossed over her chest, and Sylistico laughs. Loaine realizes they're still falling. "Uh, you going to fly or what?" Sylistico smirks and looks up, his flying resuming. Loaine sighs and keeps her arms tucked tightly to her chest, not trusting her hands. He notices and laughs, stepping down into a balcony.

"There you are, Ms. Lorain." Sylistico smiles at her, Loaine's glare fueling his amusement. She pouts, looking away from him and his eyes soften. "Goodnight Loaine." He places a kiss to the top of her head, shocking her, but flys off before she can say anything. Loaine watches as he blends into the sun set, his cape flapping behind him. She sighs before turning to her apartment and opening the balcony doors, stepping inside before closing them again. That jerk, Loaine thinks angrily.

She sits at her desk and opens her laptop to see three emails; one from Charlie, her boss, one from James and one from Clance Kurt, her somewhat geeky co-worker. She opens the one from Charlie first, reading through it quickly on how good she did today and to keep it up. She then moved to James, the kid still trying to get a date with her. She shook her head. Sure, they were four years apart, but that didn't mean you take every moment to ask the one girl who's older than you in your office area out on a date.

Loaine opened Clance's email last. It was asking her about the article they were supposed to do together for the next issue for the company's newspaper but Loaine wasn't sure she was free anytime soon. Although she knew Clance was a kind, sweet guy and was oddly pure for a guy, she didn't want to taint the waters of his innocence. Her tongue could swear like an old man's, her heart even a little bit colder. She was a reporter and there was never a kind, sweet, innocent reporter. That was good anyway, Loaine thought, though Clance is one of the best.

She closed her email and went to the bathroom to change and wash up for bed. When she came out, Loaine was startled to see a bouquet of flowers on her bed. She looked around nervously, carefully stepping closer to her bed. When she reached it safely, she relaxed and picked up the bouquet in her hands. She placed the flowers to her nose and took a deep breath, the scent intoxicating. She loved flowers. Something poked her nose and Loaine grabbed the piece of paper sticking out.

Dear Loaine,

I hope you are not injured. I was only joking around and had no intentions of actually hurting you. Don't forget, call only when you need me.

Sylistico

He was a fool, but he was a handsome, sweet fool that Loaine admired only when she was alone. She knew he wasn't always Sylistico, all she had to do was figure out who he was in person, like when he wasn't Sylistico. Loaine sighed and went to her small kitchen, reaching under the sink to pull out a vase. She let the sink water fill up her vase as she trimmed the flowers to fit inside. She placed them in the vase and brought it to her room, setting it in the desk.

She turned the lights off and walked over to the balcony windows. She opened them slightly to let the cool night air in, a small breeze ruffling her hair that went down to the lower part of her back. She closed her eyes, inhaling deeply and letting out a sigh, the air feeling good in her lungs. She turned back to her room and undid her bed before jumping into it and pulling the covers over herself. Loaine felt her eyes fluttering closed, sleep taking her, but nit before she saw the dark figure hovering above her balcony.