She could hear frustration in his voice, but she wasn't sure whether it was aimed at her, or at his inability to express himself. He was clearly struggling with putting his thoughts into words.

"Darling, it's really not something you should–" she rushed to reassure him, but he gently squeezed her hand making her stop.

She bit her tongue. He sat up and scooted back to the headboard.

"Firstly, 'darling' sounds nice." He cradled her hand in his two and kissed her knuckles. "Were they 'darlings' too?"

It took her a moment to understand what he was asking. She gave it a thought. She didn't want to lie, even if the answer wasn't the one he obviously hoped for. It was a relief to know she didn't have to. To think of it, she wouldn't be able to tell where 'darling' had come from. No one in her family and neither of the three men she'd ever dated before him were particularly fond of pet names.

"No, I don't think so." She snickered, amused by the tiny smug smirk curling his lips. "You're funny."

He lunged forward, snatched her, and dragged her onto his lap.

"I waited for ten years," he grumbled. "They had their go, now it's my turn. I got you; and all of it is for me now."

"Not sure what 'it' is that you want all to yourself," she joked and tenderly ruffled his hair, "but you're welcome to it."

He hooked his finger to her collar, tugged, and stuck his nose down her cleavage, making her croak. He nuzzled the tops of her breasts, snuffling, inhaling and exhaling forcefully; and then he straightened up and met her eyes.

"I feel better now," he postulated. "Let's talk seriously."

Jackie burst into laughter from his business-like tone; and he pouted.

"Alright," she said and settled into his embrace. "Let's talk seriously."

"OK."

He frowned pensively. While he mulled it over, Jackie was warming up in the circle of his arms. She intertwined their fingers and studied the knotty joints and the thick black hair at the back of his hand, suddenly fascinated by the difference between their bodies: she could almost fit both her palms on one of his.

"Jackie, when something happens, tell me everything you can," he said firmly. "Just– Give me time to process. And remember, I care. I can't always show it. But I care. If I hurt you like him, just tell me. I'll do better. OK?"

His arms tightened around her.

"OK." She closed her eyes. "Last week, on Sunday, while you were in Abernathy–"

***

"–like a nightmare, when you look at someone you thought you knew, and they are a stranger. Do you ever get these dreams?" She glanced at him. "Like a changeling. A monster with the face of someone you know. That's what shocked me the most." Jackie anxiously closed and opened her fists on her lap. "But then I started thinking that if I'd been that wrong about him, how could I know that those allegations were false? Because that child is all that matters. My duty is to protect them - and any other child in Gabe's care. If there's even a shadow of doubt, he can't be allowed to stay around children." Her breathing caught in her throat, and she sank her nails into the duvet she was wrapped in. "And it seems there might be something to these accusations."

Heavy silence hung in the room. Jackie couldn't lift her face.

"I called the Head of the school where Gabe works and asked them myself. We go way back, and they respect me. They told me that it wouldn't escalate to court, there was no criminal activity; but the parents are asking to issue him a removal order. So, I told the Head that I didn't want anything to do with it," she whispered. "That I didn't want to be used as a witness. Sometimes they call for a moral standing reference; and a good one from an ex-wife and a Head herself would benefit him immensely. He has called me twice since then. I didn't pick up."