𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟷𝟽

THE GROUP WAS AROUND A CAMPFIRE

after everything that had happened at the country club, all the pogues and ainsley had gone to rixon's cove, levi not wanting to leave her with rafe for the rest of of the night. she was currently wearing a hoodie from the back of emery's car and was leaning into levi, her head on his shoulder while his arm wrapped protectively around her waist.

"okay, john, why are we here?" emery asked. the girls had all taken their heels off and left them in the back of levi's truck, swapping them out for the shoes they had brought with them to wear about halfway through the night.

"i got the letter translated." he announced. "and the gold never went down with the royal merchant."

they had been right.

"here we go again with this." pope deadpanned, jj stopping him.

"no, no, hear him out." he added.

"it's been here this whole time." john b explained. "it's on the island."

"you're shitting me." emery breathed. "you're telling me i sat in that engine room for four hours just for the gold to have been here the entire time?"

"about that- where the hell did you guys even go?" mara asked.

"chapel hill." emery deadpanned.

"i'd like to voice my skepticism." pope cut off the side conversation, looking at john b.

"i'm sure you would, pope. but, can emery and i please present you with our evidence, sir?"

"proceed." the boy said flatly, emery smirking as john b motioned to her.

"okay, so, john b and and i went to chapel hill and we found the last correspondence of denmark tanny." emery explained.

"who the hell is that?" kie interrupted.

"he was a slave who survived the royal merchant wreck. since slaves weren't mentioned as crew members, it appeared that there were no survivors."

"my dad found the complete manifest, that was his big discovery." john b added.