Chapter Two

I closed my eyes, letting my other senses take in my surroundings. It was something I did on the first morning of each week, when the market opened up from being closed the Sunday before. The sounds of laughter, conversations too far off to full understand, and vendors calling out what they were selling reached my ears. I could smell the sweet scent of fresh baked goods and flowers that were scattered among the market. The final thing to take notice of was the sun warming my skin, keeping me safe from the cool breeze.

            Smiling to myself for no real reason other than just being happy I opened my eyes and looked out at the crowed of people. Some of them glanced at me, smiling and waving to before vanishing amongst the crowed. It was early in the morning so a few people were stopping to see what was being set up for the day while on their way to church. It was what you could call tradition.

            The vendors would get to the market early and set up their stalls. This usually took place an hour before the service at the church started. They usually left someone behind to watch the stall while everyone else went to attended, then the priest would came by to give sermon to those who had missed it. I was usually one of those people.

            I liked to stay in my shop, to get everything perfect for the day, and then go to the church later when there would be no one there. It’s hard to explain really, but I just prefer to pray alone. I feel that if I were too sit with so many people and pray then there would be no way God could hear me over so many other people.

            Slipping my hands into the pockets of my slacks I turned and walked into the shop, the soft bell chiming when the door moved it. My shop was a two story building left to me by the previous owner who had taught me everything that I know. The lower floor was where the shop was with a slightly larger room attached to the back for fitting costume orders. The second floor was where I lived and created the clothes. It was small and crowded with all the materials I had but it was good enough for me, I wasn’t the kind of person to really need a lot of space.

            Once the door was closed I turned and flipped the closed sign to open, even though I knew no one would come in until after service. Turning from the door I walked to the back room, going through the opening where a door should be but wasn’t. I didn’t yet have the money needed to place one. I scanned the room, looking over all the white lacey material that had been constructed into dresses. There was a wedding today, something rare at this time of year, and I’d been asked to construct the wedding gown.

            Walking through the room I picked up the dress to inspect it. It looked perfect, or as perfect as it could be for now. Being as careful as possible I place it on one of the wooden mannequins that were standing about the room. The things scared me to be honest, just standing there motionless without heads. I curse the person who thought they were a good idea.

            The sound of the doors bell ringing startled me from my thoughts and work at sorting out the dress. Straightening up I walked from the back room to the front. A lovely looking young lady stood in the middle of the room. She was looked around with wide eyes at all the clothes that were set up to be sold. Her gold hair was curled loosely, faming her pale heart shaped face. Bright blue eyes looked away from the clothes and towards me.

            “Can I help you miss?” I asked, walking over to her.

            She nodded quickly, “Yes, sir. I tripped while on my way to service and ripped the hem of my dress, mum told me to come and see if you could fix it.” She bit her lower lip in an obvious singe that she was nervous.

            “Of course,” I smiled at her, taking her gloved hand gently and leading her over to a small work station I had set up for moments like this. Having her sit on a little stool I got a needle and some thread then started on the hem. It was a small tear, something that most wouldn’t fuse about, but I didn’t mind mending it.

            Once I was done I stood up and helped her off the stool, “There you go, should be fine now.”

            “Thank you sir,” She lifted up the skirt of her dress a little, curtsying. “How much do I owe you? Mum gave me a few coins…”

            Lifting a hand up I silenced her, “You owe me nothing, just consider it a kind act from a stranger. Now go on your way, you don’t want to miss service.” I walked her to the door, opening it for. She thanked me again before she left, hurrying with the few people left to the church.

            I watched as the rushed past in such a hurry, wondering why they cared to be there on time so much. Service usually never started on time, the doors wouldn’t close until all the seats were taken. Shaking my head a little I moved away from the door, going behind the counter where I had a chair set up so I didn’t have to stand on days when there was no business. Sitting down I pulled out a few paper out form below, a pen, and an ink bottle.

            This was how my mornings always went; I would sit and draw up no designs until service was over. Then a few people would come in to pick up orders or to look around. A little after noon was when I usually closed the shop so I could go and walk around the market to buy my dinner for the night. My life had become what I wanted, and I wasn’t happy.

-----------------------------

Sorry for a boring chapter, but its needed to help set up the rest of the story, there will be actually two parts to the story so I'm hoping it will be long :) Another thing... I'm sorry if theres mistakes or confusing parts, but this is my second time writing a story in first person... I'm not that great at it. And for anyone wondering, his name is Samuel Gray :)