Chapter 1: Breathe

Family didn't have much of a deep meaning to Sam Winchester while he was growing up. He was born to a gentle soul of a mother and a father who was tough as nails, Mary and John Winchester. But they both had one thing in common and that something would forever be something that Sam and his older brother, Dean, would have to carry on for the rest of their lives - demon hunting.

Ghosts, demons, various other monsters from the supernatural world - the Winchester family had a legacy of hunting them in the real world. It's a dangerous job but someone has to do it and when Mary died from a supernatural being, the job was set in the hands of her husband and their two sons.

Over the course of time and the boys grew older, they also grew apart from John. While moving around from one motel to another, Dean was taking care of his little brother while their father went out to handle the family business. By the time Sam was old enough to make his own decisions and voiced to his father that he didn't want to make hunting his life, that was the start of the rocky relationship he has with John. Sam and John never spoke to each other after that. It was Dean who'd play the meddler between them.

Sam managed to live a seemingly normal life once his dad practically disowned him for not wanting to be a part of the hunting business anymore. He ended up having a daughter with a woman he had a couple one night stands with but he could never find a way to contact her once his daughter was born. It was a long, complicated story.

He named his daughter Clarice - Reese, for short and she is by far the only thing in Sam's life that showed him that deeper meaning of family

He named his daughter Clarice - Reese, for short and she is by far the only thing in Sam's life that showed him that deeper meaning of family. From the second he laid eyes on her, he wanted to make it his life's mission to protect her. Even though he stepped out of hunting, he wanted to do anything and everything to protect Reese from the dangers of the underworld and land of the living. He had made it his life's mission to make sure she lived a normal life as much as possible with a loving father - something he didn't grow up with.

Sam's whole life is devoted to his daughter. There's nothing he wouldn't do for her.

In the year of 2013, Sam and his daughter were moving to a new state for the first time since she was born. They spent the first sixteen years of Reese's life living in the city of Grand Prarie, Texas where Reese was able to happily thrive as a straight A student and a horse rider.

Reese's eyes flutter open as she awakens from her third nap in the car ride. The drive from Texas to Pennsylvania was approximately 22 hours of fast food burger joints, motel stops and Sam's endless Air Supply songs playing on the radio. Not that Reese minded, she loved spending time with her dad. He was practically her best friend by blood.

"Have we made it to Hemlock Grove yet?" She asked groggily, rubbing her tired eyes.

"We've made it." Sam confirmed, pulling up into the driveway of a small charming single story house with a third level garage. It wasn't perfect with some of its roof shingles falling off and the paint chipping away but with a little tender love and care, it's nothing Sam couldn't fix. It was a quaint home that looked worth its price. "What do you think? Good steal?"