Once Upon a Time

Once upon a time, there was a king and a queen who had a beautiful baby girl. When the princess was born, the royal couple invited twelve fairies to the princess's christening, not realizing  that the thirteenth fairy was left out. 

You see, everyone had forgotten about her, believing she was either dead or so far gone from society she wished to be left alone. Despite this, the fairy was very offended when she wasn't invited. She showed up in a huff and proceeded to curse the baby out of spite. The princess was destined to prick her finger on a spinning wheel and die before her sixteenth birthday.

After the thirteenth fairy had left, the royal couple pleaded with the other fairies, begging them to reverse the curse. But as most of the fairies had already given their gifts there was nothing they could do.

The couple wept at this until the smallest fairy stepped forward. The fairy, whose name was Merriweather claimed she could help. Being the smallest, she was unable to reverse the old fairy's curse but was instead able to lessen.

When the princess pricked her finger she wouldn't die, but merely fall asleep. This would last a hundred years unless true love's kiss woke her first.

The worried couple sent their baby away with Merriweather and her sisters, vowing not to see her until she had turned sixteen and the danger had passed.