✮⋆˙𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙊𝙣𝙚˙⋆✮

As I ran from Turbo Pokaski, him and his goonies screamed obscenities at me, swearing my life was over and that I couldn't escape. But I'd like to test that theory. I grabbed a random motorcycle off the road, hot wired it, and rode off. Within seconds, every last Jock was gone and off my tail.

I ended up at Glendale Mall, going through the back entrance. As I entered the ginormous building, I noticed how there's electricity, air conditioning, and the whole nine-yards. Feeling the fresh and not murky air, I sighed in relief. I continued to explore, but I knew someone was following me. Figuring I was just paranoid, I brushed it off. Before I could continue exploring, I heard a painfully familiar voice call my name.

"Jaxson, is that you?"

Josh. My heart literally stopped as I turned around. The once adolescent boy I knew was now 6 inches taller than me and missing a finger. Tears began to flood my eyes as I ran to hug him, screaming his name.

"Josh, oh my god!"

We had a very emotional reunion, crying and laughing and a lot more crying. I couldn't believe my eyes. After almost 4 years, I was finally reunited with my best friend.

"You have no idea how much I've missed you, Josh Wheeler."

I said, still latched onto him like a leech. After another minute, we both pulled away before finding a place to sit down and catch up.

"So what's life like in the apocolypse?"

"Well, since I just dodged a brutal death, I'd say it's been great."

We talked for hours, catching each other up on our lives and rambling on about the most random things you could imagine. I knew the question would come up at some point, I just hoped it would be later.

"Why did you leave? I've missed you so much, Jaxson."

"Well, after my mom shot my dad in front of me, I was bounced around the system and put into group homes and all kinds of other places. I couldn't exactly get out much, either. Trust me, I wanted to reach out so many times."

His jaw had dropped once I was finished explaining. Without a word being said, he wrapped his arms around me and hugged me again. Something about his hugs was always just so captivating. Even as kids, I loved his hugs. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry for not reaching out. You don't even know how hard it was and how guilty I felt."

Once I said that, I heard him sniffle a little. Was he actually crying? I knew he had missed me, but I didn't think he missed me that much.

"I'm just glad you're back."

His grip on me tightened, and I could tell he was crying a little. Knowing he missed me was comforting, and I was glad we didn't have to miss each other anymore. A while later, we got up, and he showed me around the mall. Before he could finish the tour, the one and only Baron Triumph burst into our section of the mall, all kinds of weapons and armory strapped to him.

"Fuck, we need to hide!"

I agreed with Josh, so I grabbed his arm and dragged him into the kitchen of some random restaurant. I instinctively put my hand on my handgun, just in case.

"Holy shit you have a gun? Can you even use one?"

"I stole it after the explosion. And yes, dipshit, I can."

He giggled a little as we made eye contact. All of a sudden, Baron Triumph burst into the kitchen. I take out my handgun and go to shoot, but the bullet ricochets off of his thick and reinforced armor. Josh charges at him, pinning him on the floor before using a dish rag to tie his hands together. We locked him in the kitchen before leaving, feeling proud and egotistical. Little did we know that our pride was about to fade away in an instant.

"Jaxson. Jaxson, you're bleeding."