Old family, New family

A thick blanket of snow covered the mountain range, leaving a picturesque and awe inspiring view. In the distance, tucked amongst the rolling hills of snow, the Ice Tribe village was nestled within the snowy peaks. The village homes were made up of wood, animal skin, and pelts, with colorful trim and warming hearths that filled the crisp air with comforting warmth and the scent of burning wood. Wooden poles held each tent upright, while blankets of snow covered everything in sight. Snowflakes covered the mountains like a white blanket, glistening in the sparkling sunlight and piercing the calming silence. In the largest abode, sat Zane and his family. Julian, a falcon formling like Zane, sat by the fire with his two sons. Both in which were adopted, but that didn't make any difference. He loved both of them dearly, and vividly remembered the moment he took in both of them. With Zane, the whole tribe gathered to discuss who would raise the child of the late Ice Emperor. The person wouldn't be seen as the new authority just because of the child, but this was to be done since Zane was far too young to go without a parental figure. Julian had volunteered to take him in and do everything in his power to protect him. Once the decision was finalized, he took the newly orphaned Zane back home. He was no longer an orphan after they stepped through the door.

Echo had been found by the river, left for dead by the Fire Tribe. The poor tiny child was nearly frozen solid, and it was a miracle that he was able to revive him. Now, Echo sat cuddled up against him in his lap, and Zane by his side.

"Ice Emperor, sir." Said a deer formling entering the tent. He had an urgent look on his face. "Fire Tribe. Approaching the village."

Tribes united or not, nobody trusted the Fire Tribe, and other than the strange exception, none of them had been around either. They seemed to avoid everyone like the plague; hidden away in their own territory. Zane found it strange that one had apparently been spotted heading towards them, but followed to check it out just in case. When he arrived at the edge of the village, he spotted them. A woman who dawned Fire Tribe armor and the insignia, wrapped in a cloak for protection against the cold of the mountain. She made her way toward the leader and the two guards that stood on either side of him. She looked ashamed, and almost on the verge of tears.

"What brings you to our home?" Zane questioned sternly.

The woman remained silent for a moment, still refusing to make eye contact. Finally, she spoke up. "I... I'm here looking for someone."

"Looking for someone?" Zane repeated curiously.

The lady nodded. "In the battle at Hiroshi’s Labyrinth. I saw someone that I thought I'd lost a long time ago." She hesitated. "My son."

Zane didn't know what to say- she couldn't think a boy of the Fire Tribe was living at the village.... unless?... The master of ice was suddenly hit by a flashback of the war.

"Don't worry brother, this time I swear I can help! I have Kataru with me!"
Before the Ice Emperor could scold his little brother, a snake attacked Echo. It pinned him down and hissed in his face. But the boy's eyes shimmered up at it. The warrior looked into the beautiful little eyes and froze. It whispered something in a feminine voice, then Kataru slashed it off of him and nosed Echo back onto his back. The Anacondrai shook off the impact and looked back up at the child who was bravely riding a bear out of all things into battle. She gave a light smile, but shook it off and slithered over to attack someone else.

Zane's eyes grew wide. "No..." This woman? Echo's REAL mother?! His actual, biological family!?... If so, then why was she here? She wasn't coming to.. TAKE him away.. was she? No, Echo belonged there- in the Ice Tribe village. Besides, he remembered how they found Echo in the first place. He was beaten, tied up, left to wither away in the cold.