John's eyes explored her frame longer than he'd like to admit. "Keep your eyes to yourself, John." Maddie teased, entertained by the way his face grew a light crimson colour.

Suddenly the door burst open once more and Katie stood before Madeline with her eyes wide. "Katie— for gods sake what av i told you about knocking!" John scolded, throwing his head back in annoyance.

"And who's this?" Madeline tilted her head slightly and kneeled in front of Katie.

John cleared his throat and tried to think of an excuse. "This is er— this is my daughter Katie." He said nervously. Maddie looked at him for a moment and turned her attention back to the young girl.

"Hello," She greeted. Katie smiled widely and clasped her hands in front of her, rocking back and forth on her heels. "I'm Madeline but you, Katie, you can call me Maddie." She whispered.

Katie had a beaming smile on her face and she looked to her father with excitement. "She's pretty," Katie whispered, her hands cupped around her mouth as if Madeline couldn't hear her.

John nodded, also smiling, "yeah she is ain't she?"

"Are you going to be my new mum?" Katie asked plainly which caused an awkward feeling to overcome everyone but herself. "Katie!" He scolded again, "you can't just bloody ask her that, you'll scare her off!"

"It's okay," Madeline finally said. But before she could say anything else, John had scooped the young girl up into his arms and walked out the room, his calm scolding getting quieter as he got further.

"Er..sorry about that. She's not really used to speaking to anyone but the family you see. She hasn't really learnt that some questions shouldn't be asked." John apologised as he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

Madeline shook her head. "It's not a problem. Nobody told me i'd be marrying a man who had kids."

"Kid." He corrected, "i've only got one." He sounded somewhat guilty that Madeline hadn't been informed pre-hand but of course Maddie didn't have a problem with it, not even in the slightest. "Her mother died right after the war. Reckon she got sick— it all happened very quickly so Katie didn't understand it very much."

"Well she's a beautiful little girl, John, she is. And obviously nobody will ever replace her mother but i'll not neglect her that's for sure. I know what it's like to grow up without a mother."

John began remembering everything she'd told him the night prior— about how her mother died during childbirth and how he father had died in a gang fight.

John knew he wasn't like Tommy and Arthur. He knew that he was good looking— well he knew that because Polly would always call him a handsome young lad to wind him up. But it was known by everyone that the Shelby boys were attractive.

It was also known that they had a bad reputation when it came to girls.

But not John. No, John was the only
brother who would grow nervous around a woman, other than Finn of course. He would be afraid of seeming weird or acting like Tommy. John, like everyone, looked up to his older brother. But one thing he promised was that he'd never end up like him. He'd never treat women the way he did.

-

"John boy!" A voice rang out, causing Madeline to jump in her seat. She spun herself around and was met with the cold eyes of Tommy. "Ello, Madeline." He greeted, "how're you finding married life?"