𝐈. 𝐈

· · ─────── ·☆· ─────── · ·

February 9, 1973. Friday

HOGWARTS, Black Lake

2nd year, 2nd term

· · ─────── ·☆· ─────── · ·

"James, for Merlin's sake! I said I was sorry!"

"Sorry doesn't cut it for what you pulled in Potions, Val!"

The young wizard and witch found themselves engaged in a chase around a tree near the Great Lake. Their bickering started just an hour earlier, right after they had completed their Potions class.

Elora had been partnered with James for the day, and it was during an experiment that their cauldron exploded. James emerged from the smoke with soot-covered clothes and hair that stood on end after Elora had placed in the wrong ingredients, making him resemble someone who had been struck by lightning. Predictably, the second-year students burst into laughter, prompting Professor Slughorn to call an early end to the class so everyone could clean up the mess.

Elora had assumed she and James were on good terms, given his seemingly good-natured response to the explosion. However, her thoughts were thrown out the window when he started chasing her with his wand drawn in hand after they left the class, and the chase didn't stop until they reached the outskirts of the Great Lake.

Meanwhile, Peter, Sirius, and Remus, whom she had first met on the Hogwarts Express during her first year, followed the duo outside the castle. They opted to perch on a nearby tree, providing a higher point to observe the ongoing quarrel between the cousins.

Remus settled down with a muggle book titled 'The Hobbit,' a gift from his mother, while Sirius made an attempt at mastering a spell he had recently learned from the older students. Supposedly, this spell would turn people's hair any colour they'd like, but his attempts seemed to be falling short. Peter lay on the ground, gazing up at the sky with a vacant expression.

"Do you think we should step in?" Peter inquired.

Lowering his book, Remus responded, "might be a good idea. I've never seen James back down from something like this, especially when Valerie's involved."

He cast a sidelong glance at Sirius, silently telling him to deal with the two. With an annoyed sigh, Sirius began to approach the bickering pair.

"These two gits always at each other's throats over the most stupid things," he grumbled under his breath, his hands thrusting into his pockets. "James can't even aim his wand proper—Hey!"

In a flash, a burst of fire erupted from James' wand, narrowly missing Sirius by a hair's breadth. Sirius could feel the searing heat of the flames as it surged past him before disappearing.