But how?

    Suddenly, Ayano remembers her earlier thoughts. Her house is too quiet, her friend is upset-

    “Kokona? I just realized something,” Ayano blurts out, and Kokona looks at her with confusion.

    “What is it, Ayano?” She asks.

    “I’ve never had a sleepover.” It’s random, but it’s true. Ayano hopes that Kokona sees what she’s getting at.

    She does.

    “Never?! Well, we have to fix that! Ayano, want to have a sleepover tonight?” And just like that, Kokona is beaming.

    Ayano nods. “You can come over to my place after drama. My parents aren’t home, so they won’t mind.”

    Kokona squeals. “Oh, this will be so fun! We can run through lines and stay up all night- we’re having a pillow fight. Oh my, I have so much I get to introduce you to in the world of sleepovers!”

    The warning bell rings, and Kokona quickly hugs Ayano before running off to class, promising to make a list of activities for them. Taro waves goodbye, then heads after Kokona.

    Osano doesn’t say anything until they’re almost to class.

    “You saw that she was upset, didn’t you?” He asks, but he knows that Ayano saw it.

    “I did.”

    “You did that just to make her happy.”

    “I did.”

    Osano smiles at Ayano, a soft one that Ayano never sees. “You’re amazing, Aya.”

    He doesn’t blush as he sits down, just gives her that soft smile.

    As Ayano sits down, the walls around her heart quiver, but only a bit.

-----

    Classes pass, and lunch comes quickly. Kokona joins the group for lunch, and Ayano has a feeling that this will be a common occurrence. The feeling leaves her content.

Osano, noticing that Ayano still doesn’t bring lunches, has given her half of his every day. Today, he shoves a bento into her hands, muttering that he, “made extra, so don’t act like this is special! It’s not like I made this just for you.”

It’s good, like always, and Ayano tells him so.

“Whatever. Just, don’t expect this from me every single day...unless you want me to do that.”

Ayano is too busy eating to answer, but Kokona gives her a ‘We are so talking about this later’ look. Ayano nods.

After lunch, classes go by quickly. Soon enough, it’s cleaning time.

Ayano gets stuck taking the trash to the incinerator.

She doesn’t expect to see a group of five delinquent boys there, but they ignore her as she passes.