Chapter 62 - Elephant's Memory

"A sad soul can kill you quicker - far quicker - than a germ." - John Steinbeck

I arrived at the BAU and immediately ran to the conference room. Hotch called for an urgent meeting and Spencer was late. "Pretty Girl, where's your boo?" Morgan teased me.

"He'll be right here." I replied while rolling my blue eyes.

Hotch showed up right after. He had a clear concern expression on his face and I could tell this case was urgent. "I'm sorry to call you so late but time is of the essence here." He announced.

Emily and I shared a look. "What happened?" The brunette asked.

"Where's Reid?" Hotch asked while glancing at me.

"He's in a meeting but he texted saying he was on his way." I answered, appeasing my coworkers.

As if on cue, Spencer showed up and sat next to me, as usual. "Sorry, I'm late."

Hotch nodded and pressed the remote. "A few hours ago, two officers were murdered while responding to an explosion that killed a father and a daughter in West Bune, Texas."

"Were they the targets?" I asked.

"That's what we need to find out." Hotch stated.

"Do you think the explosion was a way to lure the police?" Emily questioned.

Hotch sighed. "If it was, it killed two innocent people. Wheels up in 30." We followed him and Spencer held my hand.

"Is everything okay, Spence?" I asked him as he rubbed my knuckled.

"I just missed you." He kissed my cheek and I smiled. I knew he didn't want to talk to me about the meeting but I trusted him.

____________________________________________________________

We arrived in West Bune and Hotch asked Spencer and I to head to the morgue. It was a small space that lacked the standard equipment to do full autopsies which was normal for a small town.

"I found something interesting." The M.E announced with a sullen expression.

"What is it, doctor?" I asked as Spencer looked at the carbon body of Rod Norris.

The M.E uncovered the charred body and pointed at it. "This is not Jordan Norris."

"Then who is it?" My boyfriend asked with a confused look on his face.

"It's a piece of ham." He replied and I nearly laughed.

"A piece of ham?" Spencer and I gasped in unison.

The M.E nodded. "Yes. I asked the ab to run the DNA twice. Jordan Norris may still be alive."

I narrowed my eyes. "Then where is she?"

Spencer pulled his phone and went outside. "Lou Savage and Byron Letts were shot with an M4A1 and Rod Norris was instantly killed in the explosion."

"Thank you, doctor." I turned around and joined Spencer. "We need to find Jordan."

"Hotch said that Owen Savage never showed up at school." My boyfriend informed me.

"Do you think he killed the deputies and took Jordan before the explosion?"

Spencer nodded. "If he's the unsub, Jordan might be in danger." We both left the building and hopped on the SUV. This plot was thickening.

________________________________________________________________

After learning that Owen took Jordan and killed those people, Hotch, Spencer and I went to his school to speak to the principal and find more information about the teenage boy.