Chapter 24 | The Return (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

"This is the Way." The Mandalorians reply.

"You must leave Mandalore and take your apprentice on his journeys, just as your teacher did for you." The Armorer tells Din.

"This is the Way." He says. Grogu babbles as he leans over to look into the water.

"I'm so proud of you." Cordelia tells him, kneeling in front of him as he approaches. He coos happily, jumping onto her lap to hug her. She chuckles as Pandora pats his head. 

Din lifts Grogu into his arms and helps Cordelia to her feet, and the family leaves so they can start their new adventure.

***

"Let me buy you a drink, Mando, Cordelia." Carson says as he spots the couple approaching.

"Thanks, but we're here on business." Din replies. Grogu hops onto the bar, snacking on the food the bartender sets down.

"We really appreciate what you did. You made our jobs a lot easier." He tells them.

"We've both been chasing Moff Gideon. You would have gotten him eventually, we just got there first." He explains. Carson chuckles.

"Your kid sure likes the trophies." He says, looking at Grogu as he stares at the helmets above the bar. He babbles and points to the IG head.

"It's not him, Son." Din tells him. He turns back to Carson as Cordelia moves to stand with Grogu. She sets Pandora on the bar next to him and they snack on the food, babbling to each other.

"One of them reminds him of someone he knew." He explains. Carson hums. "I have a business proposition."

"Shoot." He replies.

"Grogu is not only our son, but also my apprentice." He says.

"What does that have to do with me?" Carson asks.

"I'm a bounty hunter by trade. Now that he is with me, I'll be more selective in my assignments." He tells him.

"Go on." He replies.

"You don't have the resources to protect the Outer Rim, let alone hunt down Imperial remnants. And we need work.

"Let me get this straight. You want to work for the New Republic." He clarifies.

"On a case-by-case basis. An independent contractor." Din says.

"You know this is against regulation. It'll never get approved." He tells him, assuming they don't want to use Cordelia's connection to Leia.

"Which is why you won't tell them." He replies.

"Let me think about it." Carson says.

"You already did. It's a good deal and you know it." He tells him, moving to join Cordelia and their children.

"Is that so?" He asks.

"All I require is a small advance. What I want in return is that." Din says, pointing to the IG head.

"A scrap assassin droid head?" He asks.

"I need it for parts." He replies. Cordelia smiles, knowing exactly what he's thinking.

***

"The people of Nevarro appreciate all you've done. I want to give you this deed to a cabin just outside of town where you can lay low with your family if you choose so. Between adventures." Greef says. He hadn't been able to properly talk with them when they'd picked up Pandora, only able to see that they were all okay before they had to return to Mandalore again.

"Thank you." Din replies.

"If you missed us, you could just tell us, you know." Cordelia tells him, pulling him into a hug. He laughs and pats her back.

"All right, fine. I missed you guys." He says. Pandora babbles as she waves at Greef. "Anytime you want to spend time with your Uncle Greef, come on by. That goes for you too, Grogu."

"We have a gift for you as well." Din says, spotting the Anzellans approaching.

"Greetings, citizens." IG-11 says as he approaches. He waves at the citizens as they move closer. "I am IG-11, your new Marshal. Your new Marshal of Nevarro." The crowd cheers, clapping as he walks between them. "I am here to serve and protect the citizenry."

"There we go." Greef says as he moves through the crowd. "Yes."

"I am at your disposal and serve at your pleasure." 

***

Din joins Cordelia outside, sitting next to her on the bench on the porch of their new cabin. He pulls her onto his lap, and she rests her head on his shoulder as they watch their children playing together in the front yard. He runs his fingers through her hair, loving how relaxed she is now that they have a home again after the destruction of the Razor Crest.

"I love you." He tells her. She smiles and looks up at him, cupping his helmet in her hand.

"I love you too." She replies as he leans down for a Keldabe Kiss.