It was nice to see them too. 

Yes, he knew he looked just like his mother.

His mother was doing fine, just ill. 

They would be joining church as soon as Mother was healthy. 

He had nearly everything, when he noticed his friend, Kenelm Farnhame, leaning against the wall beckoning him over. 

"I can't speak much," Leo said as soon as his friend was within earshot. "Mother needs us." Despite his harsh greeting, Kenelm greeted his old friend with a smile. 

"Is that a way to greet an old friend?" Kenelm asked, smacking him on the shoulder. "Where have you run off too anyway? Haven't seen you in a month or so. Hopefully it's not after a girl." 

Leo snorted as if. He was much too busy helping his family in the meantime. 

"If only. Mother has come down with a cold," Leo said smoothly. "I've been picking up extra chores with Father." 

"Sorry to hear it, Leo. Are you only in town? Or is your father here?" Kenelm asked, glancing around the throngs of people. Leo's father was also a carpenter. Occasionally, when they had the time, Leo would join his father at the market to sell wooden knick knacks or furniture. They usually sold items in the off seasons. 

"No, Leanne is here. I felt bad. She keeps herself at home most of the time."

Kenelm has been one of Leo's only friends since he was young. Not long after his mother had Kenelm, she raced over with Kenelm on her back to help his mother give birth to Leo. Kenelm's mother always joked that they were destined to become friends. 

Leo thought Kenelm saw the world for what it was. Kenelm was tall with broad shoulders and cunning dark eyes. Especially his father being the town doctor and his mother as the midwife. 

Kenelm definitely was a looker. A lot of girls kept their eyes out for him, trying to get them to notice them. But Leo knew he loved the looks of the ladies on him. He seemed to shine brighter in many women's views.

Kenelm pushed his raven black hair out of his eyes. "For sure. I don't know how they do it. Staying inside all the time." Kenelm shuttered. 

Kenelm had no patience for what his parents did. His heart always lied with the outdoors. So, when he was old enough, he spent his working under uncle as a trader. He would rather die than being cooped up in a house all day. Luckily for Kenelm, he had a sister that was rumored to take over his mother's practice.

"Another girl went missing," Kenelm suddenly said. 

Leo forgot about what he was thinking for a moment. His breath hitched at the news. "Missing? When? Last night? What is that, the second...?" 

"Third," Kenelm corrected, nodding. "Gleda Caldwelle." 

Leo didn't personally know her, but he was sure his sister probably did. He remembered her as a plump, soft spoken girl. Although he did note how she seemed to always have a mind for food. She was a few years his senior and there were rumors she had been turned down another proposal.

He felt a shiver go down his spine. Another one? 

The first girl to go was Velma Wilkinson, who was known for flirtatious comments and being too close to her male peers. Leo only encountered her briefly talking with a respected community member. Leo thought that was too close for comfort or being a normal conversation. She left three months ago, just when winter was turning spring. 

People speculated she fell in love and went to pursue a married life outside of Oakhaven. Or, more likely, she was ruined, and couldn't stand to tell their parents the unfortunate news. But Gleda? And the other, Royse, a young, kind hearted girl who always made food for those in need even though her family was just as poor. 

The news felt especially heavy since his family personally knew the Capestake's. The Capestake family was close to theirs. They'd encounter each other while traveling to the market or church. Sometimes, when planting or harvesting was too much, they'd cut wood for their family for Leo's father.

Leo hardly knew what to think. 

"Must be something in the air," Leo remarked. "She probably found someone and ran off." Hearing the words come out of his mouth, made him realize how untrue it sounded. Surely Gleda or Royse would never just run off with no extra clothes or money. And not without warning so their families would be worried sick, looking endlessly for them. Plus Royse was too young for the prospect of marriage yet. 

Kenelm didn't say anything for a moment. "It's more than that," he said, shoving his hands in his pockets. "I know it." 

Leo understood the darkness in his eyes, Kenelm knew something Leo did not. "What is it?" Do you know something?

He turned back to Leo, the dark look disappeared. "I'm not sure. A gut feeling... You're probably right though." 

They didn't speak another word of it and conversation ended shortly. Leo bid goodbye to his good friend. He didn't know when he'd be in town next. 

Leanne and Leo headed home, both carrying the packages for the household, Leo silently sorting out his thoughts. Leanne was chatting about the news of her friend and the town gossip. Leo noted she looked tired.

As they passed beside the forest, he felt eyes on him. He had a sudden interest to sneak a peek into the forest, but he managed to keep his eyes away. 

Later that night, while his father, sister, and he ate supper, Leo hardly touched his food. Where they getting food right now? He stared at the wall. 

"Leonard, what's on your mind?" his father asked. 

"Nothing," Leo answered, stirring his soup around the small bowl. First counter clockwise then clockwise. "I'm just tired." He didn't notice the concerned glances from Leanne. After, he helped Leanne finish putting the leftovers away. His father disappeared into his room where Mother laid resting. 

"Is everything alright?" Leanne asked. "Because if it isn't I can help..." 

"I'm fine, really. I... just have a lot on my mind," He answered. "Don't worry." 

He paused a moment before he asked, "Do you have something you're not telling me?"

Leanne's eyes widened and shook her head. "No." 

Laying in bed, Leo stayed up most of the night. He listened to his families breathing, straining to hear any movement. He shared the same gut feeling that Kenelm had. He couldn't get the nagging feeling something wasn't right. 

Surely, something happened to those girls, but what?