dakota does nothing but nod. it wasn't exactly what she wanted to hear, but at least it didn't mean paul would be expelled right away.

"well, i've heard enough. i'll walk you out the door." he offers a fake smile and stands next to the door, opening it for her. she walks out and sits down in the empty seat next to paul, who was asleep before they opened the door.

"mr. lahote, come in."

ten minutes later, abraham lahote strolls in, wearing a fancy suit and holding a fancy briefcase. he looks at dakota and immediately sits down. she fills him in on everything, not bothering to hold back. at this point, she had mutual feelings for paul. she was mad at him for causing such a stressful situation, but she praised him for sticking up for her.

"does this happen often?" dakota asks him.

"yeah, unfortunately." he replies. "you know, i've tried to help him. he doesn't take it well. he's too headstrong. and it's not like your mother tries to help."

dakota thought of her mother, probably living up life in tacoma without having an irresponsible teen daughter to look after.

"she's only called me twice." dakota adds in a somber tone. "i've been here for a month."

"hey, don't take it personal kiddo. i'm sure she's very busy with her work." he lies.

they sit in silence for a few minutes. dakota breaks it. "have you ever thought of therapy for paul?" she blurts.

"believe me, i've tried. it took me months to pay off two sessions. paul made no progress anyways."

"oh. bummer." dakota mutters, giving up.

"why don't you get some fresh air?" he suggests.

she nods and walks out of the office, breathing the air as if she hasn't seen nature since 2009. she sits down on a bench near the door, glancing at her red watch amara gifted her a few years ago. through the broken screen, it read 4:22.

it's been four hours since the fight. dakota takes a deep breath. all she wants is to go home, take a bath, drink some hot chocolate. calling her best friend was on the top of her list.

she lays her head in her hands, attempting to relax even if it's only for a minute. she hears motion in front of her and looks up to see a worried looking jared. she groans.

sam soon follows behind him, wearing busted up khaki shorts and a ripped black t-shirt.

"hey, what's going on with paul?" jared asks.

"why should i tell you two anything?" she stands up as she argues. "it's probably your fault he's in this mess."

"how is it our fault?" jared bickered, causing sam to give him a threatening look as if not to spill too much.

"oh, i don't know, maybe he was high on drugs. maybe he's in a gang and was forced to fight someone for, i don't know, brownie points or something." she ranted. "he wasn't like this before. he had anger issues, but he never sent anyone to the hospital. until he became friends with you."

the boys look at each other, not knowing how to react. sam opens his mouth to say something. "paul... went through some changes. he's gotten better now, but it takes time. stop acting like you know everything, because i can assure you, you don't."

"oh, i certainly have blank spots when it comes to you two." she jeers. "i heard you guys the other day, talking in my house. i don't know what the hell you meant by mentioning embry's name, but if you're recruiting him to be in your gang or whatever, don't. he's a good kid. he doesn't deserve that."