03. Tԋҽ Mαƈԋιɳҽ

~ And go not after other gods to serve them, and to worship them, and provoke me not to anger with the works of your hands; and I will do you no hurt.~ Jeremiah 25:6

I'm trying very to get this book finished, so I am hauling my booty to get at least half of this book done before October is up— since it's already the 21th 🙄

Again, to clear up confusion, the reader (you guys bleh) are named! So, if you want, you can consider this an oc, your choice 🤷🏽‍♀️

p.s. this character of ours has a self-made shotgun because I said so ❤️

___________________________________

Above the clouds, over the cathedral, was the watchtower. It would've been a calming place if it wasn't for the gloomy atmosphere surrounding Five, so Nine chose to look around instead.

At the edge of the tower, over its own platform, was a rickety, jury-rigged telescope that points out towards the emptiness with a half-drawn map pinned up on a built board on the left side. 

Everything was pieced together from any sorts of bits and pieces from scavenging he assumed, most likely from Two if Nine really thought about it, he remembered how filled his wagon was.

Five steps up on the platform, touching the spyglass with a sad sigh, looking at the object with a forlorn gaze. "This was the first thing we built together..."

"Is he out there?" He mumbles to Nine, looking away from the telescope to stare past the clouds. "Still alive?"

Nine, conspiratorially looked around to make sure they weren't being spied on, a silly paranoia considering they were standing on the highest point of the cathedral and away from any eyes or ears but no one really earned his good favor here besides Five and Two.

"Yes. He could be." Nine glanced away from the map, bringing his attention to Five. "We could still go after him."

"Us?!" Five snapped his attention to Nine, shocked at what he just said, amazed even, it was an impossible idea.

"No one else will."

Five gestured back to the emptiness. "But he could be anywhere out there...!"

Frowning, Nine stepped closer to the railing, looking around for any sort of clue or possibly a memory to him figure out where Two could be. It took him a quick minute but then he saw a familiar structure and gasped.

"That's where it took him!" He pointed at the blurry image of the facory in the distance. "Out towards those three tall shapes...!"

Fiver eagerly followed his eye with the old telescope, looking at the factory before gasping out and flinching away from the look of it, fear taking hold of his spine. "Oh no. We can't, not there...!"

He hopped down from the platform, "We have rules." He avoided Nine's heavy stare as he grabbed a lone wrench and started to tighten a lose bolt at the vase of the telescope, a pathetic attempt to escape the upcoming conversation. "We need to stay here..."

He recognized those words from One and he couldn't stop the sneer on his face as he stepped closer to Five. "Why do you listen to One?"

"Uh—!" Five fumbled for a moment, blinking before turning to answer him with an expression so innocent, repeating what he's been indoctrinated with. "A group must have have a leader."

Nine furrowed his eyebrows, his eyes speaking more than he was. "But what if he's wrong?"

Five stays silent at the gentle question, afraid to look away. He wanted to help, he wanted to find his friend— but he couldn't bring himself to break the rules, to disobey One.