11

Tony Stark's Cabin

Everyone stood on the porch of the cabin, watching in silence as Pepper walked out, carrying a wreath in one hand and her daughter Morgan's hand in the other. She made her way to the boardwalk beside the lake and set the wreath down on the water, watching as it floated away. In the middle of it was Tony's first arc reactor, and it had the words 'Proof that Tony Stark has a heart' engraved on it.

Everyone stared solemnly at the lake: Astra and the reunited Guardians, all the Avengers, T'Challa, Okoye, Shuri, Clint and his family, Peter Parker and his aunt, Happy Hogan, Doctor Strange and Wong, Scott, Hank Pym, Janet and Hope Van Dyne, and Carol Danvers. They had all come to pay their respects for Tony, despite some of them not knowing him very well.

A little while later, Astra hung around, getting ready to leave with the Guardians, when she heard someone call her name.

"Astra, right? That's you?" a bald man with an eyepatch over his eye was approaching her.

"Yeah, it's me. What do you want?" she asked.

"What you're about to hear might unsettle you," said the man. "I'm Director Nick Fury, and I've got a favour to ask of you."

"After what happened just days ago, nothing should really unsettle me anymore," Astra commented. "What is it?"

"The Avengers have told me a lot about you," he began. "And your powers. With the amount of time you've spent on Earth recently, I have to ask, have you ever heard about S.H.I.E.L.D.?"

"S.H.I.E.L.D.?" Astra questioned. "I thought it collapsed along nine years ago. You did fake your death ensuring that Hydra would-"

"That's just what the public, including Romanoff, thinks," Fury interrupted her. "I reformed S.H.I.E.L.D. and we're not known to anyone else besides me and my close-knit team. Not even the Avengers," he added. "Now I'm asking if you would like to remain on Earth with us. The Avengers recommended you as an agent. You'd live a normal life on Earth, and at the same time be an ally of mine and we will be able to further develop your abilities, help you control them."

Astra didn't know what to say. Was he joking?

"Your powers are changing, developing. They're otherworldly, and they can be dangerous," Fury informed her. "You've travelled across the galaxy. What if old enemies decide to use you as a weapon? Control your mind? You'd kill without knowing and who knows what would happen once you regained control."

He had a good point.

"Given your past, I know you're someone I will be able to trust, Astra," Fury continued. "You're someone who knows when to fight and who to fight for. We need more people like you on our planet. And," he added, "it'll also give you a chance at a more normal life, just like how you always wanted."

"Romanoff told you everything about me, did she?" Astra replied. "Director Fury, why are you asking me this? Why me? I can't just leave all I've ever known, again."

"I understand that if you do agree, it would be a tough decision," said Fury. "I'll give you time to think on it." He tossed her a small bracelet with a button.

Astra thought for a moment. "We're going to Norway to pick up Thor before we leave." Thor was joining the Guardians, having stepped down as king of Asgard. "I guess I'll tell you then."

***

Astra remained silent on the way to Norway, deep in thought about Fury's offer.

"You're unusually quiet," Quill observed from where he was searching for Gamora through holograms.

"Face it, Quill. She doesn't remember any of us," Astra said tiredly. "She won't know who you are. There's no point trying to find her."

"Face it, Astra, I don't care," Quill shot back. "Why was that creepy one-eyed guy taking so long with you back there?"

Astra sighed. "He offered me something. But I don't think I'll take it."

"Let me guess. Stay on Earth, let him boss you around?" Rocket asked.

Astra stayed silent for a moment, then took a deep breath. "I agreed to join Thanos because he saw what I was capable of. Just like Fury did. Now look where that got me." She sighed. "Although Fury did have a good point, about my powers..."

"I am Groot," said Groot.

"You must really hate me then, if you're suggesting that," Astra commented. "You just prefer Thor over me, do you?

"No, he doesn't. And maybe I agree with him," said Nebula. "It's perfect. You'll get the childhood you've always yearned for, since Thanos took it away when you were way too young."

"You're the only one of us who can take this opportunity, you look like a teenager and the closest to an Earthling besides me," Quill chimed in. "And it'll be good for your powers, because I'll admit it, I was always scared that you could lose control and blow up my ship-"

"Our ship, Quill, it's not just yours." Rocket cut him off.

"Very funny," Astra muttered, deep in thought.

She had spent her whole life working as a pawn for Thanos. Now he was gone forever, and she could go wherever she pleased. Maybe staying on one planet and living a normal life as a regular Earth citizen would be good for her, after everything Thanos had put her through.

"Fine." She stood up.

Nebula pulled her into a hug. "I can't believe I'm leaving both my sisters in such a short time."

Astra turned to Drax, Mantis, and Quill. "Behave, you guys. Don't get into a fight."

"When did we not?" Mantis asked innocently.

Rocket patted Astra on the back. "See you later, humie."

"I am Groot," said Groot, reaching out to her.

"Yeah. I'll miss you too," Astra told him.

The Benatar landed in a field, and Astra saw Thor and Valkyrie staring out into the landscape as she grabbed her bag and walked down the gangway.

"Hey, Thor!" she called. "You coming or what?"

Thor made his way over to her. "I suppose you're leaving, then. Have I replaced you?" he winked.

Astra groaned. "Not for a long shot."

As much as she hadn't want to leave the Guardians, she really didn't like this new Thor. She was glad she wouldn't have to contend with him for the next few years, at least. Good luck, Quill.

She stood there for a few minutes, then heard the Benatar power up and leave. She did not look up.

The decision was final. She hoped she would be happy here.

And who knew? Maybe she'd make a whole new family on Earth.