☽ Chapter 1

Violet Snape woke up on the morning of her tenth birthday, in her beloved room in the brick townhouse at the end of Spinner S'and.

Her room was small and neat; the walls were completely dark wood, covered with posters of the Holyhead Harpies quidditch team.

In the center of the room stood a large black metal four-poster bed with dark green curtains.

To the right of the bed was a closet, very old, made of ebony, and to the side, a majestic bookcase filled with books of all kinds.

Opening her eyes in that already sunlit room was like torture for Violet.

Her father had a bad habit of opening the shutters as soon as he woke up, even though she was still asleep.

She did not know why he did this; she had complained very often, but her father had not listened to him (as usual on the other hand).

The only thing she could do was to resign herself; better not to question Severus Snape's words.

The relationship she had with him was indeed peculiar, as she put it "they could stand each other," but it was definitely much more than that.

Severus Snape was for all intents and purposes the coldest and most anaffective person who had ever existed, according to his daughter, and objectively that might have seemed true.

But Violet did not realize that this was totally different with her.

Sure, he might have appeared bleak and apathetic on the outside, he often got angry and questioned everything; but he loved her, the kind of love you reserve for only one person in your life.

And it was precisely the little things that she did not notice, and yet, no matter how inconsequential, they made all the difference.

She did not know much about her mother; her father hardly ever talked about her: he had told her that she had died after giving birth to her.

The only thing she knew was that they had met at Hogwarts and that Olivia Benson was the smartest person her father had ever known.

That was why he had fallen in love with her.

She was a Ravenclaw, of course, the definition of an intelligent, creative and reserved person. 

This was her mother.

Violet liked to think that when she went to Hogwarts, she would be sorted into Ravenclaws, to feel somehow closer to her; but she had characteristics more akin to Slytherins, the house of the crafty and ambitious.

Don't get me wrong, she was very devoted to that house, but the Ravenclaws were too glamorous in her eyes.

Caleb had helped make Violet realize that she was for all intents and purposes the perfect Slytherin.

Caleb travers was her best friend, or rather, her only friend; her father preferred not to let her go out very often, which led to her not knowing anyone outside of her neighbor.

He was a dark-skinned boy, beautiful amber eyes, tall for his age and with a smile that would make anyone melt at the mere sight of him.

He was a Muggle, she had never been prejudiced against Muggles, but the flaw was that she couldn't reveal who he was, partly because it would be hard enough to make Caleb, a very realistic and rational person, believe that her best friend was a witch, and it was so frustrating not to be able to talk about it, but it was the laws.

She had spent a lot of time thinking about what house Caleb could be sorted into, and without a doubt she realized that he was a perfect hufflepuff: kind, loyal, and good workers.