Chapter Nine-Be very afraid...of the Nerd Guy

~Fact #7: When you dream of someone, it's because they miss you in reality~

Chapter Nine

I hated horror movies.

I really didn’t understand the point of them. All they did was give ideas to serial killers and crazy fantasy fanatics who believed they could suddenly morph into a zombie and eat your brains-well if you had any. So really, horror movies weren’t my thing. Sure I may have slept a lot with the lights on and sometimes weaselled out of a cinema whenever Eliza dragged me to one-who wouldn’t-but if you had a choice and was a complete coward, you’d understand my reasons.

Of course, Jace didn’t.

We were meeting with Jane and Lance for the ‘movie’ night and strangely I actually found myself looking forward to the night. I donned myself in my perfect pair of skinny jeans and a simple grey shirt with a large cat-in aid of Juno-printed on the front. Finished with simple, black boots I was ready to kick back and watch a romantic-comedy which was not only cliché and overdone but not scary.

“Let’s watch Claw,” Jace suggested with a grin.

I stared at him wide-eyed, before I spluttered, “Are you insane?”

Jace gazed at me for a moment before he rolled his eyes in amusement and dared, “What don’t tell me you’re afraid of a movie.”

“I’m not,” I scoffed then added, “but it seems kind of lame.”

Jace chuckled as he leaned closer, his face threateningly close to mine as he replied, “You’re just scared Pipsqueak, admit it.”

“Am not,” I retorted then glanced towards Jane and Lance who were standing in the line next to us, buying tickets to the new chick flick about falling in love with your enemy, “Can’t we see Frenemies in Love?”

“What and have me puke all over the cheesy crap,” Jace asked with a frown then shook his head, “No we’re going to see Claw.”

“What kind of title is that,” I questioned, “it doesn’t even make sense.”

Jace threw me an incredulous look-the kind that screamed that ‘I’ made no sense-before he turned his eager eyes back towards the creepy looking poster of a simple house situated on top of a hill. I shuddered at the bloody looking writing ‘Claw’ printed in bold on front and silently prayed to God to somehow make me sick before Jace even got the chance to pay for the tickets.

“Two tickets please,” Jace asked, and then looked down at me, “Sure you’re not scared?”

I laughed-the nervous laugh that was on the brink of insanity-before replying, “Are you kidding me? I eat movies like this for breakfast.”

A slow smile took over Jace’s lips as he replied, “Great to know Pipsqueak.”

Mentally I slapped myself. Why the heck was I lying so much? It was probably to save my dignity-not that I had any-from any more embarrassment. And it would look dumb if I suddenly decided to change my mind and joined Jane and Lance who were a couple-a very touchy couple-as a third wheel. Not only would it look really suspicious that I joined Jane and Lance, but it would also pretty much give away the fact that Jace and I weren’t really a couple.

Not that Beth would know, but technically Jane was still Beth’s best friend and I could not risk taking a chance.

“You look a little pale,” Jace commented after we had gotten our tickets, “are you feeling sick?”