Ballad

Zayden POV

"Ballad. From Middle English, balade. Who knows what this word means?" Mr. Schue asks but I really could care less. I put my feet up on the chair next to me. I lay my head in Santana's lap

"It's a male duck" Brittany says making Mr. Shue give her a look. "A ballad is a love song" Kurt says and I close my eyes. We already know this weeks topic is ballads can we just get this over with

"Sometimes, but they don't always express love. Ballads are stories set to music—which is why they're the perfect storm of self-expression. Stories and music are the way we express feelings that we can't get out any other way. Okay, now, sectionals are in a few weeks and there's a new rule this year– we have to perform... a ballad" he says and Rachel claps. "Looks like my weekly letter to the Ohio Show Choir Committee finally paid off!" she says and I sit up. "You wrote to them?"

"Okay. So here's our assignment for the week: I'm going to pair you off, and I want you to pick a ballad to sing to your partner. Look them right in the eye, find the emotion you want to express, and make them feel it"

"I pick Quinn" 

"I pick Santana"

"No, no, no. Too easy. Your partners will be chosen by fate" he says and everyone starts to get loud. "Ooh, yeah. I put all your names in this hat. Whoever you choose is your partner" Mr. Schue says. "But Matt's out sick today. He had to go to the hospital, 'cause they found a spider in his ear" Santana says and I look at her. "That sounds.. awesome" Mr. Schue shakes his head then clears his throat. "Well that's okay because now it's even. Whose up first?"

Puck got Mercedes. Artie got Quinn. Finn got Kurt. Tina got Mike. Santana got Brittany. Shocker. "Looks like I get you Zay" Rachel says and I raise my eyebrows. "I might sit this one... out" I know Rachel. Singing one song with someone makes her want to have their babies. I don't want Rachel Berry babies. It's just.. unsettling

"The fates have spoken Zayden" Finn says and I roll my eyes. "Would you mind clarifying what kinds of songs you want us to sing?" Artie asks and I groan. I don't wanna sing with Rachel

"Why don't you let Zayden and I demonstrate. Brad, "Endless Love"" I shake my head quickly but Puck pulls me up. "I'm gonna kill you" I whisper to him as I walk over to the piano. Mr. Schue pats my shoulder with a chuckle. "Good luck buddy" 

"Rachel I don't wanna sing that" I say and she frowns. "Why? It's a great song, and it's a perfect ballad"

"Yeah I really like that song Zayden" Finn says and I glare at him. Go buy a pack of condoms

The song starts and I sigh. Here we go

(Zayden is Mr. Schue. That storyline really creeped me out so I changed it. Quick fyi Zayden sort of sounds like Bryson Tiller when he sings)

I clear my throat and move back to my seat. I feel dirty. "Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew" I mumble and Santana laughs. "I feel so bad for you"

"I need to take a shower. Ew" the bell rings and I get up and go to leave. "Zayden" I close my eyes and sigh when I hear Rachel call my name. "Hey. I really enjoyed that duet. I was wondering if you wanted to practice tonight"

"I can't. Sorry. Dance" I mumble trying to walk past her. "I thought that was on the weekends?" she asks and I nod. "Right. I meant dance party. Yeah. With the studio. Members only you know"