A Shadow Among Them

The sun cast long shadows on the fields of northern France as Eloise led her flock through the village. The sheep bleated softly, filling the quiet evening with their gentle murmurs.

From the distance, the clinking sound of armor approached. Eloise turned to see Sir Damien astride his horse, making his way towards her. Seeing him always made her smile smile, even in these tumultuous times.

"Good evening, Eloise," Damien greeted, dismounting and tying his horse to a nearby tree.

"And to you, Sir Damien," she replied, her green eyes twinkling with mischief. "You know, one would think a knight of your stature would have more pressing matters than to visit a shepherdess at this hour."

Damien chuckled, brushing a strand of hair from his face. "Perhaps, but it seems my heart always finds its way back to this village... and its shepherdess."

The pair walked in comfortable silence for a few moments. But then, Damien's face grew grave, a shadow of concern clouding his eyes. "I've heard troubling news, Eloise. There's talk of a larger English patrol coming this way. They seek to tighten their grip on our lands."

Eloise's face hardened. "We've faced their kind before. We'll stand firm, as always."

Damien nodded but hesitated before speaking. "There's more. Whispers among the Burgundians speak of a young girl, a maiden from Domrémy, leading our forces. They call her Jeanne d'Arc."

Eloise raised an eyebrow. "A maiden? Leading an army?"

"Yes," Damien said, passion rising in his voice. "They say she has visions, that she's chosen by God to free France from the English yoke. She's rallying troops and plans to liberate Orléans."

Eloise paused, processing the information. "And what do you plan to do?"

Damien took a deep breath. "I've been thinking, Eloise. My loyalties have always been torn between our people and my position under the Burgundian banner. But hearing of this maiden, this beacon of hope... I wish to go to Orléans. To follow Jeanne and fight for France's freedom."

Eloise's heart skipped a beat. The thought of losing Damien, her oldest friend whom she used to play with on the outskirts of the village, was unbearable. "Are you sure about this?"

Damien nodded firmly. "I've never felt more certain about anything in my life. I must do this for our future, for France."

Eloise swallowed the lump in her throat. "Then promise me one thing, Sir Damien. Promise you'll return."

Damien reached out, taking her hands in his. "I promise, Eloise. I'll come back to you."