Chapter One

10 Years Ago

Harry's point of view

“Are you ready?” I asked. I looked at Taylor who sat on the grass with a white dress on. Her hair fell just around her shoulders freely and her blue eyes sparkle as always. Most kids play toys or tag but Taylor and I play something completely different.

We play a game of marriage.

We never knew the commitment of it really. We just find it interesting to get married. Of course, we skip the kissing part because we’re far too young for that. We’d give each other candy ring, dance around the yard and eat the candy ring afterwards. It’s a typical routine actually but for kids like us, it never gets old. It seems unlikely for kids like us to play games like this but we never take it seriously because we’re just playing after all.

Taylor nodded and got on her feet. We set up our fake altar. I couldn’t buy a candy ring but I found a golden ring at my mom’s room. I asked her if I could have it, you see, my mom knows about my little play with Taylor and she finds it adorable, although, she teases me about it most of the time. I took her hand and slipped the ring on her finger. She looked at me surprised. “Where’s the candy?” She asked and pouted. “I couldn’t buy one but I found this in my mom’s room. I hope its okay.” I replied. “It’s beautiful, Haz, but this is your mom’s. We can’t just take it.” She said in a worried tone. “Don’t worry, Tay. I asked my mom, of course, and she’s okay with it.” I said. “Okay, then. You’re sure?” She asked. “Yes.” I assured. “Wow, thank you.” She said and kissed me on the cheek. I felt my cheeks burn and I immediately looked down on my feet. I looked up again and she’s frowning. “A-are you okay?” I asked nervously. “Harry…we’re leaving for Nashville in three days.” She said and my smile faded. My best friend is going to be a world away.

I tried to give her a smile, who am I kidding? My best friend is leaving and she’s coming back who knows when? “I’m sorry I told you just now.” She said and looked at away. She knew even before? I couldn’t blame her, if it was me, it would be hard for me to bring it up. “It’s okay Taylor. We’ll meet again soon and we can keep in touch.” I said. “But…it will be a long time when I come back. There’s not much we can hold on to.” She said. I could feel the sadness in her voice. I’m really thankful for having such a kind-hearted and loyal best friend like her. “How about we hold on to right now? This ring will be our friendship ring.” I said. She smiled weakly at me. We’ll both miss each other terribly. It has been six years that we’ve been friends since our parents are colleagues. The day seemed a little bit faster. I wanted it to last, although, I know we still have three days to catch up but, would that be enough? Six long years of unbreakable friendship will be broken? Don’t be silly, Harry! Friendship never ends. It’s a general rule. No one can ever break a friendship, especially, a strong one like what I have with Taylor. It feels like she’s my only friend in the world. I guess I could find another friend to keep my company in the long years, even if no one can ever replace this friendship. I really have got to stop sounding this dramatic. We will keep in touch anyway and it’s not like I have a crush on her for me to feel this way.

But she is your best friend for six years…

Thank you, conscience for bringing that up.

I will miss her but what can I do? What can we both do? We’re going to meet again soon. That’s a promise.