42. Joreth's Decision

Start from the beginning

"Kietnan..." Thala glanced at her husband before returning her eyes to her son.

"Please, mother. Father." He looked at each of them. "Please, I'm begging you. Do not take this from me, give me a last moment with her before she leaves."

After a long moment, Thala sighed. "Of course we will consider it.  A few moments before her departure."

Kietnan let out a long breath. "Thank you." 

"If she agrees."

"She will." He said with confidence. "I know she will."

"General, prepare a team and prepare security for their arrival. We need a secure location away from the Grand Hall, somewhere secluded." Japheth commanded.

"Of course."

"Othen, we need to be hospitable, have someone prepare a meal.  We may not want to be mingling with other planets regularly but we should also not have any out there with ill will toward us." Thala added.

Othen nodded eagerly.

"Kahal, you will work with us on preparing any cultural items we wish to share, perhaps a small statement and a gift to show our gratitude for their prompt help in this matter."

"Yes, my king."

"Now, your queen and I have other matters to attend to."  With that they all nodded and departed the room.

~~~~~~

Gentle arms wrapped around Joreth's back and a welcome face rested on his shoulder as he sat in a chair within his home the following morning. 

"Joreth, my love. Why are you staring out the window?" His wife, Halan, asked.

"Just thinking." He said as he brought his hand up to caress her arm.

"Joreth." She removed herself from him and sat in the chair opposite him. "You've been distracted like this for days now. Tell me what's going on."

Joreth let out a sigh and stared at the window a moment longer before turning to look at his wife. "Halan, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed in me."

"Just tell me. Maybe I can help you figure it out."

"You remember when Ashima came here to visit us?"  She nodded. "And afterward you heard how she was missing and everyone was looking for her."

"Yes."

"She had come here asking me to help her hide."

"I had assumed so."

Joreth chuckled and nodded his head. "Of course."

"So what's going on, bring me up to date."

"I have her hidden somewhere safe, with a trusted female guard.   Only my parents and I know of her whereabouts."

"Oh?"

He nodded. "Tonight my parents confessed this to the family, but also refused to share her location. They did leave out my involvement, although I did not request this of them."

"I assume that did not go over well."

Joreth scoffed. "I'm sure you can imagine it. But there's more." He rubbed his face with his hands as he looked back out the window.

"Really? Please, continue." She said as she leaned back in her seat, getting comfortable.

"What I'm about to say cannot leave us, Halan. Promise me." He said as he looked back at her eyes.

"A secrecy promise? You haven't asked that of me in some time." She paused, then continued. "Very well. You have my promise."

He nodded. "I cannot give the details, but we have managed to make contact with the Aerulians. They will be here in two days to retrieve Ashima."