Chapter Eleven: 'Close fighting 'ere did I approach.'

Start from the beginning

‘I’m sure we could work something out,’ Kael told her, offering her his hand.

She looked at him, her expression unimpressed. Then, she relaxed. ‘Fine. But you’d better not kill me, mister.’

Kael made a small bow. ‘I can assure you that I won’t.’

Lydia reached into a cardboard box behind her, and pulled out two plastic swords. ‘Here you are. Enjoy yourselves.’

‘Okay,’ Kael began. ‘Who is it who starts the fight, again?’

‘Mercutio,’ Isis provided, pointing at Kael with her sword.

‘Alright, alright!’ Kael used his own sword to move hers gently down. ‘Don’t take my eye out.’

Isis laughed. ‘Sorry, Mercutio.’

‘Okay, so I’ll just start attacking you, shall I?’ he asked.

Isis nodded, looking apprehensive. ‘Alright.’

Stepping forward, Kael raised his sword, and brought it down into a low cutting swing. Isis met it, both of her small hands gripping the plastic hilt tightly. He could feel her rather flimsy strength pushing against his sword, and half smiled. It would be so easy to fling both swords away and push her to the floor, pinning her down. But he couldn’t quite justify that. If only he could…

Sidestepping, he drove the sword to her right. She met it again, beaming adorably at her success. And again. And again. She was surprisingly nimble, and quickly parried every thrust Kael performed. He relented a little, and she was suddenly upon him, directing the sword in a stab towards his heart which he only just met. Her cheeks were flushed as she carried on, and she held up one slender hand suddenly.

‘Hm? Admitting defeat already?’ Kael asked, slightly breathlessly. Isis laughed.

‘No!’ She dropped her sword, and reached up to pull off her jumper, revealing a greying camisole like top- two skinny straps keeping it up. Kael could barely believe his eyes. The material was slightly see through thanks to what appeared to be too many washes, and hinted at the curve of her chest. His eyes drank in the sight of her small waist, her chest, then her collarbones, peeking from the top of the t-shirt. Her bare shoulders had a few freckles scattered across them, and he found himself longing to touch them, one by one, tracing a path between them across her skin.

‘Sorry about that,’ she said, entirely innocently. ‘It was a bit hot in here.’

Well, its hot now, thought Kael, feeling blood rush to certain parts of his anatomy not solely including his cheeks.

‘Ready to start again?’ she asked. He nodded, and immediately, she was there again, slicing into his chest with her sword, bringing her closer than he thought he could bear. She used the sword to lever herself away again, and then sliced down once more, Kael only just managing to parry the blow. Suddenly, she brought it up, her hands stretched up high in order to rest it against his throat.