30. A Not So Happy Reunion

Start from the beginning

"What are you saying?" Kietnan stood above the woman. "You can't remove an organ you know nothing about." He said sternly.

"We have no intention to." Polk responded. "We'll have to repair it. Now get out of the exam room and let us do our jobs." Polk looked at Dran and motioned for him to escort Kietnan out of the room.

"Come, Kietnan." Dran said softly but firm.

"I won't leave her." He said sternly, not removing his eyes from Ashima.

"We're in the way here." Dran stood between Kietnan and Ashima, blocking his view. "The attendants need to put all of their focus into saving her. They can't do that with us in here."

Kietnan stepped aside to gain his view of Ashima again, his brows pushing together and exhaling deep through his nose in frustration. He stepped beside the bed and cupped her face in his hands, rubbing circles on her cheeks with his thumbs. "I'm so sorry I wasn't able to protect you." He bent down and kissed her forehead. "Come back to me." He whispered so quietly, no one else could hear.

He stood and gave one final look at her before turning and swiftly exiting the room, Dran on his heels.

"Should I ask what that was about?"

"Where's Zein?"

"Detained. Teluq and Bron should have him locked in a detention cell by now."

"I want to know everything that's happened since she left the camp."

"I can only fill you in on what's happened since she arrived here. The one who brought her from camp to the homeland was Zein."

Kietnan stopped, abruptly turning to face Dran. "Zein." Kietnan growled. "That monster that was just in there holding a knife above her chest?"

Dran exhaled, nodding his head with a glum look on his face. "Come, let's talk in private." 

~~~~~

"Where is Kietnan?"

"He left us at the vessel to go check on Ashima, my lord."

"And he has yet to return?" Thala questioned Kahal.

"I'm sure he will be along shortly. Assuming all is well with her?" He raised a brow at his queen.

She huffed and turned to her husband. "Should we begin questioning the others without him?"

"Othen." Japheth summoned.

"Yes, my lord." Othen quickly stood from his seat at the table to stand in front of where the king and queen had been speaking with Kahal.

"Go find Kietnan and bring him here."

"Yes, my lord." Othen slightly bowed his head and hurried out of the room.

"General, Kahal, Joreth. Come sit." The king instructed and the five of them sat across from each other on the table in the large meeting room.

"Kahal." The Queen spoke. "Tell us all you know about the foreigner. From beginning to end."

"I heard Kietnan had found an alien on the brink of death and deposited her in the medical tent. Since he brought her there and they had no way of communicating with her, they made him take responsibility for her. A few days later she had recovered so they released her. My brother, being the always duty filled Qarthan he is, brought her to his dwelling to provide her shelter and food."

"As his elder brother, you did not inspect the alien yourself over this time?"

"I was preparing for and then participating in the trials. I trust my brother's judgment and abilities. But yes, eventually I did insist on meeting the female. He brought her to my tent with all of my brothers in attendance."