Chapter 1 - Refrigerated Corpse

'Thought'
"Speak"

~~~~~~~~~~

"What is a cat fossil doing here in dragonspine?" Paimon asked as she looked up at the giant wall of frozen ice left from what they had melted away. While exploring Mondstadt, Aether had eventually found his way to the edge of Dragonspine, where another adventurer told him about the ice that cannot be melted here, despite the fact that he had just melted it with some strange red quartz. However, although some of the ice in this mountain cave melted away, leaving a giant ice orb to fly off to fuck knows where through an opening above, it still left a giant chunk of ice left in front of the small pond by the cave's exit. It was considerably bigger than him, maybe even as tall as Mondstadt's stone walls, or even bigger. Maybe even bigger than Paimon's appetite for food. Actually he retracts that statement, this ice structure is nothing compared to Paimon's concerning need for food.

As strange as all the leftover ice was on its own, what made it even stranger was the tiny frozen silhouette of a cat stuck inside the ice. The traveller then turned to Paimon and shrugged. He was just as confused as she was. With each new discovery, this place got weirder and weirder. First the ice that can only be melted with quartz, and now a tiny cat fossil that looked way too well preserved for any normal fossil.

"Should we try using the quartz to melt ice?" She suggested as they both looked at the cat fossil. He supposes he could give it a try. Aether walked over to the closest quartz stone and broke it with his sword. The metal blade shattered the stone to pieces, before it dissolved away and a new tiny red piece of quartz started circling him. He ran back up to the fossil to hit it, as the small red piece vanished and a red flash appeared from his blade as he struck at the ice. It didn't work but the other pieces of ice didn't melt the first time either. So he tried again... and again... and again... and aga-

"Uhh, hey Aether? Maybe just try again later, Paimon thinks you might go insane continuously doing that. And it doesn't look like we're making any progress. Besides! Its just a refrigerated cat corpse, whats so interesting?" Paimon said, and he couldn't help but agree. The only reason he really did that was because he was an adventurer. Do stuff, solve puzzles, and get paid. Ever since arriving in teyvat, his exploration and curiosity has always been rewarded. But he wasn't making any progress here, so maybe he'll just ask someone else about it. As he moved on, he failed to noticed a small and thin layer of ice on the ice chunk melt, as the cat "fossil" 's eyelid twitched ever so slightly.

~~~~~

"Well, do you think there's still more of that strange ice around this area?" Paimon asked. Its been a while since the strange very unmeltable ice with a cat in it. They left Dragonspine after seeing it since it got really hard exploring the area while having to deal with sheer cold. They've now decided to come back to explore Dragonspine more before going back to Mondstadt. As he walked into the freezing blizzard, he racked his mind over what the iced cat could possibly be about. With the distant noises of a yelling Paimon complaining about being tossed around in the strong winds of the blizzard, he could feel the feeling of frost slowly crawling up his skin. "What do you think Paimon?" He asked as his hand touched the top of a brazier. He could feel the upper part of the smooth stone lift as a wave of warmth encompassed the area.

"Well, Paimon thinks there might be some more unmeltable ice by those giant ribs we saw earlier! We might not find more unmeltable ice, but maybe we'll find something else." She said as she pointed at the giant silhouette of said giant ribs in the distance, peeking over the side of the mountain. "Who knows, maybe we'll even find some kind of super delicious undiscovered animal meat! And you can cook it for Paimon." He moved on from the brazier as Paimon followed him. "Are you sure you want to eat that? Didn't one of the adventurers say that a dragon died here?" He asked as he continued walking.