vol 0: prologue

————
Some background information before you read.

Everyone in this world is born with ether a magic or aura core. Every ring around this core is how much power you have. Rings go from 1-10. You get more rings by training and talent. In the prologue mc has 9 rings. Both antagonist have 8.
That's it, thanks for reading.
————

(Voren Nosk pov)

I start my morning like every morning, by sitting in front of my log cabin sharpening my sword and putting on my armor, basically just getting ready for a normal day of work. I'll probably just be doing paperwork again today, covering for the queen's mistakes for another time. So the weapons and armor aren't exactly needed but, I'll still put them on as more of a formality than anything practical. My old bones strain as I put on the heavy knight armor, maybe I should retire from this knight lifestyle and live the rest of my remaining days in my cozy old cabin.

When I get done daydreaming and adjusting my armor, I get up and start to walk to the capital. It's not far, my cabin is in the woods just outside the city, and should only be a 15 - 20 minute walk at most. Before I can even take more than ten steps away from my humble home, a bright purple light suddenly appears to my right. As the purple hue of teleportation magic fades away, I see from the corner of my eye two figures clad in white and velvet respectively.

I turn to my right already having an idea of who it is already, after all there's only a few mages in the entire kingdom that can cast teleportation magic. Considering the purple theme it's probably Sifis Vurial, the royal mage.

The other color, white usually represents the royal family. So it could be anyone from the royal line.

Fully facing to my right both Sifis and the eldest prince, Floyn Lovicia, are visible. Sifis, a person from the demon clan with black horns and purple mage robes. Floyn, a tall beastman with cold crystal blue eyes, white hair with fox ears poking out the top and a scowl decorating his face.

He didn't used to look this cold and callous when he was a child, but that changed when I started to train him in the ways of a knight and he formed more rings around his aura core. The power to turn any commoner into a mist of red with the flick of a finger is intoxicating. As captain of the royal guard and his combat instructor I took responsibility in training the eldest prince. I tried to give him advice on how to handle this power, and while I think it worked to some extent as he wouldn't kill a commoner for no reason at all, he still thinks the weak should serve the strong. This philosophy is fundamentally flawed, and not fit for a king.

"It's been awhile Floyn, what is so urgent that you needed to bother Sifis with teleportation magic just to meet me? I was just about to head to the capital." I say mildly concerned, as teleportation magic is usually only used in emergencies, not to mention banned from being used in the capital, can't have mages teleport directly into the throne room can we?

Floyn and Sifis exchange looks before Floyn steps forward and says "Look, I'm going to be blunt as possible as I'm not one for politics, join me." His crystal blue looking directly into my dark gray eyes.

"Floyn, we've been over this. I'm a neutral faction, I don't take sides" I say starting to get concerned as I don't like where this is going.

"You're still trying to keep up that lie?" His frown grows even deeper than it was before. "Even though you say this everytime, it's painfully obvious you favor my mother." Floyn takes another step forward. "Normally I wouldn't even bother trying to convince people with words, but seeing as you're the only person in the entire kingdom stronger than me, I respect you. Because of that respect, I'm letting you know what's going on and I'm giving you a choice. I'm taking the throne away from my incompetent mother, making this kingdom a better place for everyone. Join me, or fight me. You are too powerful of a piece for someone else to have on their board."