Chapter 2

Dawn came swift and  the knights packed up readying for another day of tracking. Once breakfast was had and the tear down of the camp was complete they mounted their streeds and continued on.

Gabel was oddly quiet, since rising he had only spoken two words. This was unlike him. Though he wasn't an overly chatty fellow,  he also  often engaged in conversations with his fellow Remdragon brothers.

Today was different, he felt like he had fallen into a trance. All the girl did was cast her eyes upon him, but it was enough to disrupt his being. He often glanced over searching for her as they traveled. He noticed she rode at the very back of the Loverne knights.
This made it hard for him to catch even a small glimpse of her.

Since the beginning of their march that morning he was only able to spot her twice. Once when she coming down a hill after he had already descended, and once more when they were cleaning up after taking out some forest goblins.

The day  moved quickly and the knights grew tired. They had taken out over 50 forest goblins, 4 trolls and demolished a large Werwolf pack. Ursuline and Philip Weston agreed to stop for the day and set up camp. It was early yet but because of all the kills they had made and the ground they have covered, the Commanders agreed to stop for the day.

The squires set up most of the camp while the junior knights started the fires and food. Hebaron, Garrow and two other Loverne knights went to scout the area further. Gabel who had just finished setting up his tent walked past the makeshift stable and heard Ursuline and Philip in a heated conversation about something. Not wanting to get dragged into some ridiculous argument he turned around and went back to the stable. He decided to get away from the camp for a little, and started untying his horse from the post.

Suddenly he heard something flop next to him.

   Turning his head he saw a saddle on the ground. He looked up and froze, the girl who had been occupying his mind all day was tying her horse to a post. She was quick, in mere seconds she has an excellent knot tied. She tenderly rubbed the nose of her chestnut colored horse before bending down to move the saddle she dropped on the floor.

Gabel snapped out of his trance and bent down to help her. He was quicker than she was and was able to pick it up for her before she could protest. A displeased look spread across her face as she straightened herself.

"Thank you sir though that was not necessary, I am not some weak woman who needs your help."

The girls words sounded harsh and Gabel was unsure how to proceed while still holding onto her saddle.

"Could you please just put it there, thank you."

This time her tone sounded more gentle.

Gabel nodded and did as she said, placing her saddle in the corner of the makeshift stable.

Not wanting to seem like an oaf he decided he needed to say something, anything to her.

"Your horse is beautiful. You must have paid a high price for her."

The girl tilted her head, "Him, my horse is a male."

She motioned with her eyes to the horses region between its back legs that was dropped out.

Gabel felt his face flush.

He scratched the back of his head, "I can't believe I missed that....well a fine horse he is."

The girl smiled ever so slightly. She then turned towards her horse.
"Yes he is a fine steed."

A second later she turned her head back to him and firmly spoke, "Good day," before quickly brushing passed his shoulder.