《Chapter 3《Part 2》》

"We're just devils trying to look like angels, such a corrupted era we've created and there is no way to find halos . . ."

***

My heart was pounding loudly at Chen Jie's words and my father's voice suddenly in the background before my phone went out.

I stared at my phone, which refused to turn on, only showing a red battery. I frustratedly threw it back in my pocket, letting out a groan.

"Zhan ge, we should leave. We can charge your phone once we're back, and we can try speaking to the grandmother tomorrow because it doesn't seem like we will get any useful information from her," the little prince said, looking at me with a worried expression as I nodded numbly.

The little prince turned to the grandmother of Ice; the woman also had turned around to look at us as the little prince initiated a deep bow, and I quickly followed.

No matter what, even the dead should receive the respect they own.

"Ah, my grandkids would also be about your age, huh?" I raised an eyebrow as I slowly straightened up.

"Grandkids?" I said, unconsciously stepping forward as the woman nodded a soft smile adorning her features, her eyes hazy again.

"Oh, yes, it's been a long time since I last saw them." I turned to the little prince, my frown deepening as I mouthed, "them?"

"Granny, how many grandkids did you have?" The little prince said as he came closer to stand next to me, but the woman suddenly took a hasty step back, her eyes darting around.

The woman raised her hands, holding them protectively against her chest, "I- I don't know. I don't know. I don't know!" Her eyes were wide open, fear visible.

"Granny," I said, taking a step forward as the woman took two steps back, her back hitting the stone wall of the mansion.

"I DON'T KNOW!" The woman raised her arms higher, now in front of her face, blocking her sight, and she made herself smaller as if she were a wounded animal.

My heart ached at the sight, and I wanted to take another step forward, help her, when an arm appeared in front of my view, blocking me.

I looked sideways at the little prince, who slowly shook his head, "Don't, Zhan ge, you're scaring her; I think it's better if we leave and come back another time. It seems like those files might have been messed with, as Chen Jie had mentioned. We will have to ask her when we get back because none of those files ever mentioned more than one grandkid," the little prince softly whispered as I looked between him and the granny, who hadn't moved a bit.

"My father hadn't said anything either?" The little prince shook his head, and I glanced at the woman, who peeked through her arms at me, and when she saw me looking back, her arms immediately went up again.

"Granny?" The little prince spoke up, his voice soft, like he was speaking to a child, and he crouched down a little to the grandmother's height as he looked at her.

She peeked through her arms, refusing to let her guard down.

"Granny, is it okay if we come back another time to keep you company?" She looked at us, her eyes withholding any emotions.

"Is there anything you want next time?" The little prince continued, an inviting, warm smile tugging at his lips; he looked adorable.

I couldn't help but imagine how good the little prince would be with kids if he ever got the chance. The way the little prince spoke, his stance, his smile, it was so friendly and comforting, like coming back home felt.