8

Avengers Compound, 2023

With a flash, everyone was brought back to the present as the Quantum tunnel closed. As their time travel suits disappeared, Bruce asked, "Did we get them all?"

"Are you telling me this actually worked?" Rhodey asked with a grin.

Everyone turned to look as Clint fell onto his knees. He was soaked from head to toe and was the only one not looking happy.

"Clint, where's Nat?" Bruce asked.

Clint didn't respond, and at that moment, Astra understood.

She was gone.

For the first time in a really long time, Astra let the tears fall.

She and Nat weren't that close. At least not as close as Nat and some of the other Avengers. But they'd confided in each other right after the Snap. They had cared for each other. Now she had lost yet another friend.

Rage flooded through her. Astra was so sick of Thanos killing everyone she loved. First her family. Her home planet. Then Gamora. Then Quill, Drax, Mantis, Groot, and half the universe. And now Natasha.

Astra was so engrossed in her thoughts that she barely heard Bruce punch the platform in anger. Instead, as she looked at it, she wished she could go through that tunnel again. Go back in time to when everything was taken away from her. Kill Thanos herself. Make him die a slow, painful death, so he could for once understand the pain she and so many others had felt.

Little did she know, the fight was already on its way to her.

***

"All right, the glove's ready," said Rocket, having built a new Infinity Gauntlet to wield the Stones. "Question is, who's gonna snap their freakin' fingers?"

"I'll do it," said Thor immediately.

"Excuse me?" said Tony.

"It's okay," said Thor, walking towards the Gauntlet.

"Stop, stop. Slow down," said Tony, as he, Steve, Scott, and Clint stopped him.

"We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet," said Steve.

"I'm sorry. What, are we just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?" Thor questioned.

"We should at least discuss it," said Scott.

"Look, sitting here staring at this thing is not gonna bring everybody back," Thor insisted. "I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So, this responsibility falls upon me."

"Normally, you're right," said Tony.

"It's my duty," said Thor.

"It's not like that."

"Stop it! Just let me," Thor pleaded. "Just let me do it. Just let me do something good. Something right."

"Look, it's not just the fact that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent," Tony tried to reason. "I'm telling you, you're in no condition."

"What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?" Thor asked.

"Cheese whiz?" Rhodey said.

"Root beer?" Astra guessed.

"Lightning," said Thor. "Lightning."

"Yeah," said Tony dismissively.

"Lightning won't help you, pal," said Bruce.

"I'll do it," Astra piped up without thinking.

All eyes turned to her.

"Excuse me?" Thor demanded. "You?!"