Well,  that was true.

Moody got heavily to his mismatched feet, opened his desk
drawer, and took out a glass jar. Three large black spiders were scuttling around inside it. Harry felt Ron recoil slightly next to him — Ron hated spiders. Oh, Willow was enjoying it thoroughly.

The spider jumped around and did some funny stunts to which Willow laughed. But the true reason was that her best friend was shuddering each and every time the spider came a bit forward.

“The Imperius Curse can be fought, and I’ll be teaching you how, but it takes real strength of character, and not everyone’s got it. Better avoid being hit with it if you can. CONSTANT VIGILANCE!” he barked, and everyone jumped.

Moody picked up the somersaulting spider and threw it back
into the jar.

“Anyone else know one? Another illegal curse?”

Neville raised his hand slowly as Willow smiled in an amusing way. She felt happy that Neville was interacting.

“Yes?” said Moody, his magical eye rolling right over to fix on
Neville.

“There’s one — the Cruciatus Curse,” said Neville in a small but
distinct voice.

“The Cruciatus Curse,” said Moody. “Needs to be a bit bigger
for you to get the idea,” he said, pointing his wand at the spider.
“Engorgio!”

The spider swelled. It was now larger than a tarantula. Ron pushed his chair back and sat far from Moody.

“Crucio!” The spider started twisting around as if it was suffering from pain. Willow's smile faded in discomfort as she saw the spider struggling. She clenched her fist and lowered her gaze. Suddenly, she felt a warm hand above her own. Willow looked aside to see Harry, who gave her an assuring nod and mouthed, "Don't look up until I say so."

Willow immediately obeyed him as she looked down.

“Stop it!” Hermione said shrilly.

“Reducio,” Moody muttered, and the spider shrank back to its
proper size. He put it back into the jar. Harry squeezed her hand as Willow nodded slowly and looked up

“Pain,” said Moody softly. “You don’t need thumbscrews or
knives to torture someone if you can perform the Cruciatus
Curse. . . . That one was very popular once, too. Right . . . Does anyone know any others?”

Willow's eyes widened as she saw people being uneasy.

“Avada Kedavra,” Hermione whispered.
Several people looked uneasily around at her, including Ron.
“Ah,” said Moody, another slight smile twisting his lopsided
mouth. “Yes, the last and worst. Avada Kedavra . . . the Killing
Curse.”

Moody raised his wand, as Harry shifted uncomfortably this time. Willow held his hand in a supportive way as he caressed his hand using her thumb.

He's so cold!

“Avada Kedavra!” Moody roared.

Several of the students stifled cries; Ron had thrown himself backward and almost toppled off his seat as the spider skidded toward him.