4

Avengers Compound

Astra, Nebula, and Bruce all stood around Scott Lang aka Ant-Man, the guy from the Quantum Realm, as they fitted the time-travel suit on him.

"Time travel suit, not bad," said Rhodey as he walked in.

"Hey, hey, easy, easy!" Scott protested when Bruce started putting something into his suit.

"I'm being very careful," Bruce assured him.

"No, you're being very Hulky," said Scott.

"I'm being careful."

"These are Pym Particles, all right?" Scott held up what looked like tiny tubes with red liquid in them. "And ever since Hank Pym got snapped out of existence, this is it. This is what we have. We're not making any more."

"Scott, calm down," said Rhodey.

"Sorry," said Scott. "We've got enough for one round-trip each. That's it. No do-overs. That's it. Plus two test runs." He put the Pym Particle into his suit and accidentally pressed a button that made him disappear before returning a second later. "One test run." He sighed. "All right. I'm not ready for this."

"In that case, I'll do it," Astra piped up. Everyone looked at her.

"What? Unlike a lot of you, it seems, I am ready," she said.

"You sure?" Scott asked.

Astra nodded. "Yeah. It'll be fun!"

After a bit more convincing, Astra was now in Scott's time travel suit, with Nebula programming it.

"Astra, now you're gonna feel a little discombobulated from the chronoshift. Don't worry about it," said Bruce. She nodded.

"Wait a second, let me ask you something," Rhodey began. "If we can do this, you know, go back in time, why don't we just find baby Thanos?" You know? And..." He made an impression of strangling someone with a rope.

"First of all, that's horrible," said Bruce.

"It's Thanos," Rhodey said, exasperated.

"And secondly, time doesn't work that way. Changing the past doesn't change the future," Bruce continued.

"Look, we go back, we get the Stones before Thanos gets them, Thanos doesn't have the Stones," said Scott. "Problem solved."

"Bingo," said Rhodey, pointing at Scott.

"That's not how it works," said Bruce.

"Well, that's what I heard."

"Wait, but who? Who told you that?" Bruce asked.

"Star Trek, Terminator, Timecop, Time After Time..." Rhodey listed out names of Earth movies that dealt with time travel.

"Quantum Leap." Scott added to the list.

"Wrinkle in Time, Somewhere in Time..." Rhodey continued.

"Hot Tub Time Machine," Scott suggested.

"Hot Tub Time Machine, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Basically any movie that deals with time travel," said Rhodey.

"Die Hard?" Scott suggested. "No, that's not one."

"This is known," said Rhodey.

"I don't know why everyone believes that, but that isn't true," Bruce insisted. "Think about it. If you travel to the past, that past becomes your future, and your former present becomes the past, which can't now be changed by your new future."