Chapter 45: Deductions and Destruction.

Začít od začátku

Besides, if anything else, Professor Luna's curious mind began to wonder just how his "political superior" would deal with the coming disasters. Once everything was finalized with that child's adoption into the Imperial family tree, there was no going back. He would either perish by the hands of his own people or be applauded. He was walking across a tightrope over a burning volcano. One misstep would spell his doom.

And, in his eyes, it didn't help that his rope was slowly burning.

With their meeting over and done with, Professor Luna bid his farewell and left the room, leaving Archwatt to do as he pleased inside his office. Archwatt gave a casual dismissive wave and sank his body into the couch to stare motionlessly at the ceiling.

"What I do from now on, I do for you, Angelina."

Reaffirming his resolve and ingraining the new name of his first child in his mind, Archwatt stood up slowly as if he was fighting against the weight of the world against his shoulders. He pushed open the doors to the office and made his way into the vast and wide corridors of his palace.

After walking for a few moments, he was swiftly followed by several Royal Knights and eventually reached the nearest balcony that overlooked the now ghost town of his capital. The warm sun radiated warmly against his skin, a far cry from the cold and desolate atmosphere that wafted from the city streets.

He had told Angelina that the lingering mana of a Death Dragon had devastated his city and caused immense damage to her body, but in truth, the mana had long dissipated. Despite that, it was clear that the city was not in a good situation. As normal people didn't possess large pools of mana, when the mana of other creatures seeped into them, it was hard for their bodies to be able to filter it. As a result, the lingering effects of the Death Dragon could still be seen everywhere one looked. Those that couldn't receive support from healers or other supporting magics would swiftly find their condition deteriorating.

Archwatt clenched his fists as his sights over the city fell onto a nearby makeshift hospital. It was stuffed with citizens both healthy and sick as they tried desperately to help their family and neighbors through this hardship. The hospital, if you could even call it that, was poorly staffed as most healers were currently inside of his palace either recuperating or taking care of more dire patients.

As his palace was both defended by a magical barrier and large enough to house many patients, those that were the most affected by the magic were temporarily hospitalized there. It was also much easier for the healers and priests to relax themselves and refill their mana reserves free of worry of getting afflicted.

""Find Priest," she said."

Archwatt mumbled, gazing upon the frantic sights before him. To distract himself from it, he began thinking about Angelina's first wish, which was to find the man that she had first arrived with a few weeks ago that served as her guardian and servant, Priest.

Priest, just like Angelina, had features like dragons sprouting from his body, so he wouldn't be too hard to find. In fact, he already had an idea as to where he was. The thing is, if he found and brought him over, who was to say that wouldn't cause her memory spell to break instantly? Who was to say that resilient thing wouldn't cause a ruckus once he saw the sorry state of his master?

"Your Majesty," a Royal Knight standing inside the hallways called out, "A messenger has arrived from the Royal Inquisitors. They claim to have found news about the Hero. Would you like me to invite them over?"

Archwatt was taken aback, "The Hero?"

It had been years since she disappeared as if into thin air. Just why did news of her turn up now when he already had so much on his plate?